Thread: Pen refills

Pen refills

I have been tasked with finding a pen refill for a pen purchased from a craft fair. The owner pulled the refill and threw it away and has no concept of what it was like (clueless).

What I do know is that the opening is narrower than those narrow plastic tubes on papermate refills (so obviously wider refills such as those by cross do not fit either).

I expected something like a cross refill to fit. Unexpected that everything seems too wide since the pen is not small in any way.

Any ideas?

I suspect you are looking for a Cross type refill.

Check this page out and scroll down near the bottom: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...mline_pen?Args=
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Interesting....

I will give it a try. I hope that they are thinner than the real Cross refills, which are too wide. It looks like they are.

I'd like to know what kit is smaller than a slimline... I would think it has to be a chiwanese knockoff, if it is...
    I don't know what refill would be smaller than a Cross... but then, I don't know everything, either...... shh-h-h... don't tell my kids I said that...
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I agree with Ken. Probably a cross style.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There are pens/pencils which use a "mini" refill -- photo shows one example which is a pen "insert" used in place of a 5.6mm lead in a workshop/sketch pencil. "Cross" style refill shown for reference.

Mini refills can be purchased from Wood'N'Whimsies...near bottom of this page...

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/pparts.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, there are a few pens that take the 'mini' refills. The double ended 'teacher' pens, and pocket or 'purse' pens are two that come to mind.

credit card pens, mini bullet pens (actually look like a small missile) and keychain pens use a mini very skinny pen refill. but I do not know where you get them here in the states, refills that is.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

OK, the verdict is mostly in (and I have something that works).

The "aftermarket" Cross refills fit in with no problems, but, they do not screw down all the way and they have roughly five threads to bite into the slot.

The Cross refills are very marginally wider at the base. It turns out that you can push it through, but it requires some level of force to get it past the threads. The Cross refills have fewer threads in the same space. The Cross refill will also not screw down all the way, but, it leaves less extra space.

My final solution involved a sharp knife, which I used to remove plastic with threads from the bottom until the refill would properly seat.

I am still amazed at the width difference between the Cross and "aftermarket" refills. I am also a bit stymied by the difference in threads.

At least it now works. Thanks to all for the advice. I would not have pursued this further without your feedback.

Also, I now have red, green, and blue aftermarket cross refills for when I desire other colors. That said, I prefer the branded Cross refills for how they write, but, the after market ones that I have seem to work sufficiently well.

Psi

PSI sells the mni refills. Harry

Andrew, if you had posted a picture of the pen, including the clip, someone might have been able to identify the kit and tell you where to find refills---because he/she would know who supplied the kit. I'm glad you found one to fit, even with "effort", but if you post a pic, we might be able to help you find the right one for your pen.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Andrew, if you had posted a picture of the pen, including the clip, someone might have been able to identify the kit and tell you where to find refills---because he/she would know who supplied the kit. I'm glad you found one to fit, even with "effort", but if you post a pic, we might be able to help you find the right one for your pen.
    Excellent idea, but, I have already given up control of the pen and I do not actually know the owner. I think that the exchange went something like this:

(owner) Hello person below me, do you know anything about this.

(lower person) Umm, sure, I can look into it

(lower person) Andy, you know about this stuff, can you make this work

Next time, I will snap a picture and post it....