Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All is not well at Harbor Freight Tools

All is not well at Harbor Freight Tools

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jul/...ts-of-looting/

Apparently this privately held company is experiencing a family fued. Looks like the son leveraged the company with a $500 million dollar loan and used the funds to purchase all kinds of extravagant items.

Who knew selling cheap tools could make you so rich.

So ... all those missing bits, and munged threads, and ... generally failed products that I once bought ... subsidized a painting that cost $100 MILLION ??

I wonder if I get to look at it, at least.

The love of money ... is the root of all evil....

Doesn't he know you can get cheap Chinese copies for a couple bucks?

Seriously, this is the kind of thing that could bring a company down, assuming its true. The whole article seems to based on what one side said, so who knows.

Blog Entries
    I don't remember all the details but U-Haul had a similar family fight several years ago that lead to it becoming the junk truck leaser it is today. Seems like there was even a murder in the deal somewhere along the way.

More reading if you're interested:
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1994-...-haul-tragedy/

Cool Sad story

For all bashing most of HF's tools deserve, I always considered them a great resource for use-once or use-infrequently tool needs. Sometimes you need a specific something-or-other to turn one bolt head or cut one cut and it'd be a killer having to pay for an 'investment' tool. For the most part, at least you know what you're in for with them as opposed to paying through the nose and happening upon just as much of a piece of junk.

The family part of it is sad and just goes to prove that the only people who can 'get to you,' are people you trust. If you don't trust them, you never allow them into the position of 'getting you.'
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Shame if true. Although, they are by far not my tool of choice they do come in handy for a cheap alternative for a rarely or once used tool. Eevery visit makes me actually wonder where all the money goes in a "good" tool when they have a "decent" copy for 1/10th the price.

In my younger (more naive) days, I bought some HF wrenches because, well, the deals was "too good to pass up". And, after all, a wrench is a wrench is a wrench...right? Well, when I needed to get a nut loosened on my tractor, I reached for one of my wrenches, the bolt was being very stubborn. Eventually, something gave...and it wasn't the nut! The open ended wrench, well, opened even more. And, as Murphy's law would have it, the path of my hand that went from 0 to 60 (and consequently back to to 0) lead staight into an immovable object. Bleeding (and badly bruised) knuckles convinced me that HF tools weren't worth the "deal".

I suppose that is where the other 9/10 goes...into quality materials that hold up like they are supposed to.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I think the point is though that having:

Designed the wrench mould
    Poured the casting
    Cleaned up the casting
    Plated the casting
    Packed the finished wrenches
    Shipped them around the world
    Marketed them
    Distributed them
    Retailed them

It wouldn't be too difficult to have used a different alloy to begin with that is a tad more robust. Or treated the casting. I imagine it might cost 2/10 instead of 1/10.

I would bet it went closer to:
    1. Marketing determined a wrench set for x dollars will sell y units per year.
    2. Buyer agent gets bid from various companies
    3. Several companies can produce said item at the volume needed and time frame desired.
    4. Cheapest company from short list gets contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
    I think the point is though that having:

Designed the wrench mould
    Poured the casting
    Cleaned up the casting
    Plated the casting
    Packed the finished wrenches
    Shipped them around the world
    Marketed them
    Distributed them
    Retailed them

It wouldn't be too difficult to have used a different alloy to begin with that is a tad more robust. Or treated the casting. I imagine it might cost 2/10 instead of 1/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    In my younger (more naive) days, I bought some HF wrenches because, well, the deals was "too good to pass up". And, after all, a wrench is a wrench is a wrench...right? Well, when I needed to get a nut loosened on my tractor, I reached for one of my wrenches, the bolt was being very stubborn. Eventually, something gave...and it wasn't the nut! The open ended wrench, well, opened even more. And, as Murphy's law would have it, the path of my hand that went from 0 to 60 (and consequently back to to 0) lead staight into an immovable object. Bleeding (and badly bruised) knuckles convinced me that HF tools weren't worth the "deal".

I suppose that is where the other 9/10 goes...into quality materials that hold up like they are supposed to.
    I would never use the open side of a wrench to loosen a stuck bolt - even my Snap-On wrenches have a potential to slip. I was always taught to use the box end of the wrench when it is tight.

Sorry about the injury - it could have happened regardless of the quality of the tool. In these cases, quality tools definitely win out of a bargin bin wrench.

just my 2 cents...

JP

Blog Entries

Harbor Freight

If Harbor Freight ever sold anything that was not Asian junk, I failed to recognize it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

I did get a good deal on a drill press. 16 inch floor drill press... very good, drills straight as an arrow. gave 45 dollars for it. it was on the list of things that were actually good from HF though.

I saw on ebay someone selling a 4 speed vertical bandsaw for around 800 bucks.... it was green, I thought to myself "noway", yesway it was a bandsaw from HF... I am anxious to see if it sells.

as long as a person can recognise the quality you can or will find a place where it is a good deal to use them, what really heats me up though is that if you have to order a part for something and get it within 6 months you are doing good.... that is just not customer friendly at all.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    as long as a person can recognise the quality you can or will find a place where it is a good deal to use them, what really heats me up though is that if you have to order a part for something and get it within 6 months you are doing good.... that is just not customer friendly at all.
    Amen.

One thing I bought (my DC ?) was missing a BUNCH of hardware, and -- since there was NO list of parts (the parts that should have been included) I couldn't satisfy "Customer Service" when they kept asking me which parts I needed.

I eventually called Southern California, and was told (of course) to just buy what I needed from the hardware store, and that I'd be reimbursed.

I bought a BUNCH of fasteners .... enough to last me a few more HF purchases, if I go that route

Ahhhh, maybe THAT is the difference... Mine didn't have a box end! Open on both ends. The ends opened up, not slipped. I do, however, doubt that your Snap Ons would have opened on the bolt. A pair of vice grips did the job... Point taken, though.
    I drink, therefore I am.

This is exactly why I refuse to leave my personal fortune to my son. He needs to pay his own dues and build his own industrial empire. Giving him mine will teach him nothing!