Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone Owners ????

Cyclone Owners ????

Just purchased a Woodsucker II and looking to get metal ducting since I can't find thin wall PVC locally (Memphis Area). Trying to get some options on metal ducting. What are my options and where are the best places to purchase.

Greg

ductwork

Greg,
    Check out your local mechanical supply house. Many say not to buy the thin walled stuff from the "box" stores so played it safe. It should be 26ga min, if I remember correctly.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Please share with me the advantages of thin wall PVC, $$$$ Weight function??? First I've heard of the concept,
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Greg,

Check out http://www.kencraftcompany.com for ducting. I just purchased an Oneida 2HP commercial unit and am probably going to get most of my ducting from Ken Craft. Same grade as Oneida but a little cheaper. There are a few items I'll get from Oneida, but Ken Craft will save me around $150.
    And if you find some better deal let me know. Ducting for mine is going to be almost as much as cyclone was.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I bought most of mine from Oneida, although I sourced some straight 26 guage duct at the 'Depot. (Silver labels on the box and marked as 26 guage) But Kencraft seems to get good comments. Be sure to buy a bunch of heavy aluminum tape (NOT grey "duct tape") and duct sealant (mastic) to seal things up. In my system, the tape also provides most of the mechanical connections...I only used pop rivets in a few high-stress places. Using just the tape makes for easy system changes in the future. (That's a "when" not an "if" situation!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Be sure to buy a bunch of heavy aluminum tape (NOT grey "duct tape") and duct sealant (mastic) to seal things up. In my system, the tape also provides most of the mechanical connections...I only used pop rivets in a few high-stress places. Using just the tape makes for easy system changes in the future. (That's a "when" not an "if" situation!)[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Jim, for this tidbit of info. I am glad that I have the SMC forum for just this purpose. What I've learned here will hopefully save me a lot of time and make the installation of my cyclone and ducting that much easier , or at least a lot better when I do the job.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I used 6" duct from Home Depot for everything except the elbows. They don't sell the wide radius elbows. Everything is metal except the run to the table saw which is on the floor. I used PVC and like you I couldn't find cheap S$D in 6" width, so I went with the thicker stuff. Its almost as expensive as the metal elbows I purchased on line. I love my Woodsucker and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.
    Dennis

Can't beleive that someone in Memphis area isn't selling 6" PVC S&D pipe. You need to look in yellow pages for "Drainage Contractors" call them and ask who sells it in the area. You may find one or two that will try to sell it to you, but if you call enough of them you'll find one that will tell you where they buy it.

While you got the phone book out look under, "Pipe". In the ad's look for the word "drainage". Look for somone that is selling sewage pumps & tanks, they will be a good place to find it. Call one of them and ask about S&D or thin wall PVC if they don't have it ask them who does. You can find some in about 10 min. I bet.

The long radius 6" elbows can be had on line from McMaster Carr Supply. Do a web search for them and then look in thier on line catalog. They ship from Atlanta and you can get them UPS to you, for not too very much money.

Look for irrigation houses in your area, Greg. They normally have a myriad of plastics for 6" PVC...my local one has 4.

Tyler, I think what you want is the 2729 ASTM S&D 6" pipe. Terry Hatfield used it and it is quite thin and upon first glance, one might think it is QUITE unsuitable for cyclone ducting but I saw Terry's in person...worked great!

McMaster-Car as Mac said is a good source for S&D fittings. You'll want 2 45s to make your 90 transistions, however.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hairston
    Just purchased a Woodsucker II and looking to get metal ducting since I can't find thin wall PVC locally (Memphis Area). Trying to get some options on metal ducting. What are my options and where are the best places to purchase.

Greg
    http://clients.mapquest.com/hughessu...mit=Find+It%21

how far from Memphis is this place? They deliver ................... :-)

Greg, I've got the Woodsucker and the longest piece of flex I have on mine is probably all of 6' and that's just on a drum sander. The rest is all the 6" HVAC steel from the Borgs. And yes, I used the "90's" from there, as well. BUT, I used TWO fittings to make all my 90* turns, putting two 45's together. The wye's and blast gates came from kencraftcompany. And, as Jim points out, the silver tape on all joints and seams. If you go the HVAC duct route, I would also highly recomend the krimping pliers, offset tin snips and maybe even some folding pliers, as I used them all and made the job just a bit easier.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wow... Where to start. Well, I have spent most of 3 mornings on the phone this week looking for the 2729 Thin wall PVC. No one carries it around here and no one knows where to get it. I have found the SDR 30 and the 40 but no thin wall.

As for the HVAC piping I have checked around and I cant find the 26 gage. All I can find is 30 and a few places said the carried 28 (never knew that existed)

Thanks for all the recommendations. Because of the lack of PVC suppliers I will go the metal duct route. Hopefully I can find the straight runs in 26 locally and go with Kentcraft for the things I cant find at the big box stores.

John, what is the gauge of your piping from the borgs?

Jim, I purchased a couple of rolls of tape today.

Rob, Nashville is about 2.5 hours away

Chris, No irrigation houses listed in the local phone book

Ok think that covers most of the stuff. Thanks again.

Greg H

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hairston
    Wow... Where to start. Well, I have spent most of 3 mornings on the phone this week looking for the 2729 Thin wall PVC. No one carries it around here and no one knows where to get it. I have found the SDR 30 and the 40 but no thin wall.

As for the HVAC piping I have checked around and I cant find the 26 gage. All I can find is 30 and a few places said the carried 28 (never knew that existed)

Thanks for all the recommendations. Because of the lack of PVC suppliers I will go the metal duct route. Hopefully I can find the straight runs in 26 locally and go with Kentcraft for the things I cant find at the big box stores.

John, what is the gauge of your piping from the borgs?
    Greg, I'm not positive. I'll try to remember to check when I get home, but I have a hunch it's probably closer to 28 than it is to 26. Got it at HD in their bundles of 10, 5' pieces. If it is 28 or 30, I still haven't had any issues with it! I'm usually quite careful about making sure there's a port open somewhere, but have slipped up a few times and turned on the Woodsucker without having any open. No problems. Maybe it's because I have a LOT of connection ports and cummulatively, all the blast gates let enough air pass that it's not an issue. I'll drop a reply on the gauge when I can verify what it is.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,
    Thanks. That would help out quite a bit. I have heard people say dont get the 30 ga but no reports on any that has tried it and had success with it.

If you are using 30 and it works I may look at that as an option

Greg

Gregg, do NOT use the 30 guage for this application. Your Woodsucker can suck it flat. 26 guage is what you want and it IS availble. If your local borg doesn't carry the 26 guage straight pipe (sometimes called "stove pipe") you can certainly get it at an HVAC supplier. You can also order it from Oneida or Kencraft.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...