Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Vase #3

Steve, I think the dye really makes this piece!! Curly maple is such a great pallette for dye, and this color is very pleasing. Being very color blind, green is one of those that usually causes me difficulties, but this one I can appreciate!! Very well done!

Steve,

With this series of green bowls and vases I am starting to think that you are closet Packer fan lost in the UP. Wonderful as usual. I cannot believe the grain in the maple pieces you do.

Quinn

Steve,

Beautiful vase, the color and finish are outstanding. I think you should sell it to Hollywood for the upcoming "Green Lantern" movie.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Along with great form, the dye has a great transluscent look and adds a lot to the final outcome of the vase. Nice # 3. We all benefit when you find lathe time, thanks Steve.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

I knew there was a good chance that some folks would like the green - others wouldn't - but wanted to make John K happy and dye at least one of these vases!

I still have 2 more vases to finish and then it will be on to other things.

Baxter - the heartwood was harder than the sapwood and it absorbed less dye. Also, most of the heartwood is face grain and will not absorb as much dye as the end grain. This piece was flooded with dye twice, then sanded back as evenly as possible to reveal the curly and get that tiger's eye effect with the light. It worked - the piece is amazing in the light!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

[QUOTE=Steve Schlumpf;1476033]
    Baxter - the heartwood was harder than the sapwood and it absorbed less dye. QUOTE]
    Thanks Steve, I should have studied the top of the turning more closely. I had the sapwood and heartwood mixed up which was why I was wondereing!

Steve, you have really got the dye thing figured out. Really nice HF with gorgeous wood.

Very nice piece Steve, for the turning naive, how did you cut the log to turn that?

How the logs are prepared is one area I haven't figured out yet.

Must have some of that wood!!

Steve, I think it is almost getting time for a roadtrip for Mike Svoma and I to the U.P.!! I love the last few pieces you have shown and I am having curly maple envy! I just got a truck and trailer load of red oak and aspen, but it just does not have the class of your maple.

Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very cool...Rit dye...go figure!

Super looking curly maple Steve and I love the color. So...good ol Rit dye?? I didn't know, but wondered about that.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Kinda lends new meaning to the term "green" wood! Not quite sure how I feel about it. I love the shape and the curl and the color does tend to make the curl pop. Never thought about using fabric dyes on wood. I'll bet the folks who make Rit dyes never did either...
    David DeCristoforo

Wow, Steve...another stunning piece! Keep 'em comin'!

Another fine example of your abilities Steve.
    Thanks for the look see.

did the rit work out well for you. i just bought some yellow, orange and red today at wallyworld. i'm going to be going for a tequilla sunrise look soon. any pointers, i was planning on using dna as the base too. nice vase too. like the rim.

Steve, the color and finish are impressive, but most of all I like the atributes of the entire turning even more. Most excellent as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Terry