Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please, Help buying a new truck

UPDATE... Well, I finally got my new vehicle on Saturday 7/31/10. I went with the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab. I didn't get all the bells and whistles but did end up with most of them. Below are a couple of pics, its a little dirty right now due to monsoon season.

Thank you again for all the opinions, although I didn't actually buy what the majority reccommended, I do like hearing what others have to say. It helps me to think everything out.

P1000231.jpg P1000236.jpg

P1000233.jpg P1000234.jpg
    Lori K

I love that color blue.
    Keep us up to date with any problem or Not. I will need a new truck soon.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We have two Chevy 3/4 ton pick ups (wonder what that would be in metric? ). One is an 03 and the other an 04. Love them both. The seats are WAY more comfy than Ford's. Been burned by Dodge too many times. HIGHLY recommend the diesel (as both of our's are). Fuel milage is way better, emmissions are cleaner, more power when/if you need it. Both trucks have about 120 or so thousand miles on them. Yes, they've been in the shop here or there for unscheduled things, but what vehicle isn't? Nothing that would turn me away from them. And Chevy has been really good about honoring waranty things...and even some things that were just out of waranty. I paid around $36-37 for each with lots of bells and whistles (listed for mid to upper 40's) except leather...don't like it.

These are the first and only vehicles we've had for more than 5 years...in our lives. Would highly recommend them to others.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike

I'm real familiar with Ford and Dodge diesels but not so much with Chevy. I am leaning toward Chevy/GMC for my next truck which will be a 3/4 ton diesel. What kind of fuel mileage do you get with them? Are they 4wd? Do you happen to know the rearend gear ratio?

2010 f-150

I have a 2010 F-150 Lariat, Crew Cab, 6 1/2' bed. Second F150 I have owned. First one went 78K Miles & lasted six years with 2 minor repairs.
    Next truck F-150. This is from a guy whose spouse retired from a GM susbsidary (Hughes Aircraft) & could have gotten either a GMC or Chevy cheaper!!!!

Steve

Great choice and nice looking pickup Lori. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Yes, both are 4 wheel drive. Both have 373 rears. Mine averages 17.5 mpg on a tank. My wife's gets her 19.5 mpg. The difference between our trucks is that her's has a rolltop cover on the bed. That is it! I know the Mythbusters did a thing on tailgates down/removed for mpg and found nothing. But apparently covering the entire bed does make a difference. NOTE: I'm actually a lot lighter on the pedal on the right than she is, so it isn't driving habits... Another note: on long drives, (all highway) I get about 23 mpg. We got 26 mpg in my wife's going to the Outer Banks. My truck is almost 7 yo, and my wife's is almost 8.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Yes, both are 4 wheel drive. Both have 373 rears. Mine averages 17.5 mpg on a tank. My wife's gets her 19.5 mpg. The difference between our trucks is that her's has a rolltop cover on the bed. That is it! I know the Mythbusters did a thing on tailgates down/removed for mpg and found nothing. But apparently covering the entire bed does make a difference. NOTE: I'm actually a lot lighter on the pedal on the right than she is, so it isn't driving habits... Another note: on long drives, (all highway) I get about 23 mpg. We got 26 mpg in my wife's going to the Outer Banks. My truck is almost 7 yo, and my wife's is almost 8.
    Thanks Mike, good to hear that the GM diesels get good mileage. Actually a bit better than the Ford diesels I've owned (93' and 99'models) and your averages are right in line with the Dodges that a few people I know have and your wifes is better on all highway.