Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Paralysis? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    How are your legs in bed? (ok, that could be taken wrong! LOL) Do you ever fidget from restless legs...like they kind of ache or you cannot find a comfortable position with them? I get that off and on: restless leg syndrome they call it. That keeps me awake when it happens...I just gotta get up and pace about for it to go away.
    As far as I know my legs are fine in bed. LOL No, I don't have restless leg syndrome, although apparently a significant number of people who have sleep paralysis also have RLS.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone, and it may not address the root cause of your sleep disorder, but it sure works for me. Take a generic benadryl, the diphenhydramine pills for allergy relief about half hour before bedtime. You'll sleep like a baby. You may feel a little drowsy in the morning, but nothing a cup of joe won't cure.
    I took one of the over the counter sleep aids last night and just woke up. I slept 12 straight hours. WOO HOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Buy a dog. A big one. Sleep with him. He'll keep the boogyman away.
    I don't think the cat that sleeps with me would like a big dog. The cat does a pretty good job of keeping the boogeyman away when she decides to grace me with her presence.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

I have had insomnia for 12 years, stress, thinking, wondering, etc. My doctor prescibed me Ambien , works like a charm, Im probably addicted but who cares, I get my sleep, thats all that matters. And to kick in in a little better, Aglass of red wine about an hour before bedtime really makes it good. Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Markovich Jr View Post
    I have had insomnia for 12 years, stress, thinking, wondering, etc. My doctor prescibed me Ambien , works like a charm, Im probably addicted but who cares, I get my sleep, thats all that matters. And to kick in in a little better, Aglass of red wine about an hour before bedtime really makes it good. Marko
    I've dealt with serious insomnia from time to time, and it was usually the same thing -- I was physically tired (or even exhausted after a few nights), but my brain would not shut down. I have been on Ambien a couple of times in my life, and I swear by it. It has been the best sleep I have ever had. You aren't just knocked out -- you go through REM cycles, which is important for good sleep. Most of the times I have had these problems, I have been going through INCREDIBLY stressful times. And these are precisely the times when medical intervention is warranted. The stressors won't disappear overnight, but the fact of the matter is that you need good sleep. This will help deal with the stressors.

Good luck,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

[QUOTE=Chris Kennedy;1476488]I've dealt with serious insomnia from time to time, and it was usually the same thing -- I was physically tired (or even exhausted after a few nights), but my brain would not shut down. I have been on Ambien a couple of times in my life, and I swear by it. It has been the best sleep I have ever had. You aren't just knocked out -- you go through REM cycles, which is important for good sleep. Most of the times I have had these problems, I have been going through INCREDIBLY stressful times. And these are precisely the times when medical intervention is warranted. The stressors won't disappear overnight, but the fact of the matter is that you need good sleep. This will help deal with the stressors.

Good luck,

Chris[/QUOT

Thanks for the good vote, I'd figured that i would be considered a doper, but you know what, I get my sleep , and i dont care what anyone thinks, you have to have a good night sleep , its a matter of health, get it however you can, Thanks Marko

This may sound simplistic...

Like the old Chicken Soup remedies, I find that a glass of milk and a few cookies really does help. Lactic acid and carbohydrates. Take some and call me in the morning. Take about one hour before bedtime.

What do you have to lose?

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Like the old Chicken Soup remedies, I find that a glass of milk and a few cookies really does help. Lactic acid and carbohydrates. Take some and call me in the morning. Take about one hour before bedtime.

What do you have to lose?

Rick Potter
    Thanks again all. Still haven't heard back from the sleep center, thought I wuold have by now.

Rick, with the milk and cookies it's not what I have to lose, but what I have to gain! I'll give it a try after I head to the grocery store next weekend (I don't keep milk and cookies in the house), but it won't be something I can do every night. Moment on the lips, forever on the hips! LOL.

Bella Terra

I have to agree with Jim, try the Sleepy Time tea. I have had a lot of trouble sleeping lately due to stress and the tea right before bedtime helps.

I believe this might be the main cause of my problems. I just walked in the door from work. At 5:30 I got a call from a customer notifying me that a deadline for completion of a project had been moved up from 08/09/10 to 07/30/10 with delivery prior to 8 a.m. I will get up at 2:30 in the morning, be at work by 4 and work straight through until Friday morning to complete the project. I have to keep the office open on Friday and hopefully will be able to leave at lunch, if I'm lucky. Geez, I'm tired already just thinking about it and I know I shouldn't think about it! Until I can make some life changes I don't think the problem is going to resolve. Ambien is a wonder but I can't take it on only 5 or so hours of sleep.

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I believe this might be the main cause of my problems. I just walked in the door from work. At 5:30 I got a call from a customer notifying me that a deadline for completion of a project had been moved up from 08/09/10 to 07/30/10 with delivery prior to 8 a.m. I will get up at 2:30 in the morning, be at work by 4 and work straight through until Friday morning to complete the project. I have to keep the office open on Friday and hopefully will be able to leave at lunch, if I'm lucky. Geez, I'm tired already just thinking about it and I know I shouldn't think about it! Until I can make some life changes I don't think the problem is going to resolve. Ambien is a wonder but I can't take it on only 5 or so hours of sleep.
    Belinda, you are absolutly right about Abien and 5 hrs. 7-8 hrs minium or you will wake up feeling drowsy and disoriented. I can also tell you some of the side effects are sleepwalking and eating in the middle of the night and you never remember it, I didnt beleive it myself till my wife took vidieo of me making a sandwich , eating it and going back to bed, I never recalled doing that, Just my .02

Belinda,

"a customer notifying me that a deadline for completion of a project had been moved up from 08/09/10 to 07/30/10 with delivery prior to 8 a.m."

I would have told him that my work schedule was already set and that I had a job with priority over his...he might not get his job until Monday or Tuesday. A crisis on his part does not equate to an emergency on your part.

Learn to say no.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

There is an old saying that I've had to use all too often:

Lack of prior planning on your part does not consitute an emergency on mine.

Use it, Belinda. Your health is not worth any client, customer, or deadline.

Another saying, btw, is one that I was forced to use one plenty more than one occasion:

I'm not saying you're stupid, but when you do stupid things, I can't tell the difference.

If you are looking to fire someone try this...works like a charm:

Either you aren't working hard enough, or this job just isn't for you...which do you think it is?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Exercise & meditation helped my sleep problems. Though I must admit the exercise portion of my routine has taken a back seat for awhile now

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Belinda,

"a customer notifying me that a deadline for completion of a project had been moved up from 08/09/10 to 07/30/10 with delivery prior to 8 a.m."

I would have told him that my work schedule was already set and that I had a job with priority over his...he might not get his job until Monday or Tuesday. A crisis on his part does not equate to an emergency on your part.

Learn to say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    There is an old saying that I've had to use all too often:

Lack of prior planning on your part does not consitute an emergency on mine.

Use it, Belinda. Your health is not worth any client, customer, or deadline.
    Saying no to this customer is not an option. This is a very large company and we get a LOT of business from them. Their customer, who just spent tens of millions of dollars on a item has demanded delivery of that item on 08/06/10. As they say, stuff trickles downhill.

This is one of those situations where the customer has multiple vendors to choose from, and they are not shy about saying so. It's a "privilege" to work for them. I didn't want to accept the job in the first place because I had a feeling this was how things were going to play out, but I got voted down.

Bella Terra

as i read this thread, it reminded me of my life for the past 20 years.

For years and years as I was growing the business, I would wake up in the middle the night worrying about the work load I had. This was most prominent in the Spring and Fall (planting seasons for the greenhouses).

It was all stress related. I have been waking up around 3 am almost every night since the mid 90's.

Once we got a computer and an internet connection, I would go online for an hour or so, then finally get sleepy enough to go back to bed.

About a year ago, I stopped alcohol consumption and my sleep improved. I still wake up but not as frequently. A side benefit was no more restless leg syndrome or aching legs.

I have also down self-hypnosis and that works and years ago I drank a bit of warm milk. (i hate the taste, but its good with a shot, jk)

sleep paralysis? I never knew that was a medical issue, I don't get it often but like the feeling. Think of it as an adventure.
    Vortex! What Vortex?