Thread: 1st creeker visit..

Talking 1st creeker visit..

Made it up to quad cities and met Joe Meirhaughe who lived probably less than 5 miles from my father in law's farm. I was not prepared for Joe's level of commitment to woodwork of all types and esp., turning.
    Everything from tiny, miniscule to huge as in photo attached. My wife got so excited she had to go get her sister who went gaga over it all!
    Wonderful time yacking wood and turning. I found out "wood grows on trees up in Illinois.... " and Joe was plenty kind in making sure I had several nice chunks of cherry and walnut to bring home, oh and a cedar round. There was a storm that took out a lot of trees from several cemetaries, and when we went to see me mum in laws resting spot I snagged a nice little piece of Maple with hopefully more than a little spalting to make a nice desk piece for lil missies desk.
    I've been invited back to visit Joe's turning club and hang out which I certainly intend to do when I can orchestrate that trip. Thanks Joe and Linda for all your hospitality and generosity. (I got a pen made by Linda too!)
    mj left, Joe right, wood turings everywhere!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael James; 07-22-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spell checker fried.............

Very cool Michael. Creeker visits are indeed a special treat. Congrats.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Nice write-up. Creeker visits are what make the world go round.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Having seen some of Joe's work posted here on the creek, a visit to his shop would have to be a blast! Did you learn how to do all those acrylic colors??

That looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I see Joe has gotten a good start on his
    Christmas ornaments
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting.

Good one Michael. Yeah Pete, gotta love that ornament hanger.
    Richard in Wimberley

Congrats Guys!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats. Creeker visits are the best.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Made it up to quad cities and met Joe Meirhaughe who lived probably less than 5 miles from my father in law's farm. I was not prepared for Joe's level of commitment to woodwork of all types and esp., turning.
    Everything from tiny, miniscule to huge as in photo attached. My wife got so excited she had to go get her sister who went gaga over it all!
    Wonderful time yacking wood and turning. I found out "wood grows on trees up in Illinois.... " and Joe was plenty kind in making sure I had several nice chunks of cherry and walnut to bring home, oh and a cedar round. There was a storm that took out a lot of trees from several cemetaries, and when we went to see me mum in laws resting spot I snagged a nice little piece of Maple with hopefully more than a little spalting to make a nice desk piece for lil missies desk.
    I've been invited back to visit Joe's turning club and hang out which I certainly intend to do when I can orchestrate that trip. Thanks Joe and Linda for all your hospitality and generosity. (I got a pen made by Linda too!)
    mj left, Joe right, wood turings everywhere!
    Michael
    Glad you had a good time here in the Illinios Quad Cities.
    Linda & I really enjoyed your visit too. I whished we'd had more time though. I would have loved to gotten you to our turners club.
    www.qcwoodturners.org
    We'll be sure to get there next time your in the area.
    Looking forward to seeing what you turn from the walnut, cherry,maple & cedar. Be sure to post some pic's when you get it turned.
    Joe
    Also Thanks for the turned pen & gifts you brought us.

Thanks for sharing the story! Always great to hear of Creekers getting together!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I never saw "BAT" vessels before!

MJ, It looks like Joe has got some sonar emitting bug eating vessels hanging around the shop! How did he get the wood crossed with those little flying critters? Looks like you had fun and I know one day you and I will meet for some woodturning talk!

Thanks for sharing the smiles!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Its great to see pics and hear about Creeker visits!! Thanks for posting.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Thanks creekers.......

John K,, there was too much to absorb to get into the acrylic process. I was sold on the need ($$$) to get the right tools to do the hollowing stuff, and to do it right. I think at this point, I know where I want to go, and that is small, not tiny, hollow forms. So, mini monster is on order, and I'll be looking for that lil delta vs in the late fall. ($$$$)

Jeff N. What, we're gonna talk turning??? You're the reason I fell into this rabbit hole / vortex thingy, (read $$$). I'll be cleaning your shop for tips and tools! I'll show up with a 5lb can of folgers and we'll go from there.

Joe, again thanks. From the cabinets, furniture, even the lamps from high school, I think you can use any descriptor you want. Artist, craftsman, ?? And your dedication to your turning club and teaching others is humbling to me. Add, "and a doggone good guy" and I don't know what else to say.

Everybody on and off the radar thanks for your support, donations, inspiration, patience, etc.
    Best regards to all.....
    Michael