Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a CNC router setup.....

I want a CNC router setup.....

I'm looking and making guitars and bass guitar along with many flatwork applications. I'm trying to get myself all setup for when I retire in several years. I'm looking for a starter setup like the Laguna IQ with 4'x4' table and the VCarve software. What are your thoughts?
    No, I'm not looking for anything to work fast....just to work while I do something else.
    Think low budget starter.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I’ve just finished assembling my Shapeoko 3, a hobby-level CNC kit, which is muchly upgraded over the v2 — 85x55mm extrusions w/ no slots to detract from the rigidity. Initial working area is 16x16", but the designer just got some 5.5' extrusions to test and design a pair of upgrade kits which should afford a much larger work area: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5987

Still updating the wiki, but you may find it a useful resource even if you choose another machine: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3
    Last edited by William Adams; 04-25-2015 at 5:03 PM.

If considering the laguna I sure would not rule out the CAMaster machines.

I have an AXIOM PRO 6 that I am very happy with. There spindle is cooled by a cooling system attached to the gantry and it does not need a external pump and bucket. If you are near Columbus, Ohio the WOODWERKS store has both the Axiom and the Laquna on the showroom floor. You can see both of them operate.

I just sold the CNC machine I had acquired for guitar building. After two years, I figured out that it wasn't saving me any time, and it was actually something of a nuisance. Unless you're building lots and lots of guitars, it's not worth it, IMHO, and you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time figuring out fixtures and things like that. Anyhow, that's just my opinion.

edit:
    just wanted to mention that it will be much more useful for flatwork, and maybe carving, than for guitars. It's much easier to hold down and deal with flatwork. I DID find the CNC to be very useful making jigs and things like that, though.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 04-25-2015 at 6:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    I’ve just finished assembling my Shapeoko 3 ...
    William,

Consider writing a review in a separate thread after you've had some time on it. I've been watching the progress of the SO 3 for a few months and it sounds like it could be a great small/mid size machine. Even though I already have a somewhat larger DIY machine, I've sometimes thought that a smaller machine might be nice at a later time in addition to my current machine, especially if I got busy doing 3D carvings. I've pointed a few people to watch the SO 3, see how it performs for various tasks.
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I just sold the CNC machine I had acquired for guitar building. After two years, I figured out that it wasn't saving me any time, and it was actually something of a nuisance. Unless you're building lots and lots of guitars, it's not worth it, IMHO, and you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time figuring out fixtures and things like that. Anyhow, that's just my opinion.

edit:
    just wanted to mention that it will be much more useful for flatwork, and maybe carving, than for guitars. It's much easier to hold down and deal with flatwork. I DID find the CNC to be very useful making jigs and things like that, though.
    I agree with John, it takes about 6 months before you really understand and feel comfortable operating a CNC. I bought my CNC 4 years ago and now I use it for everything, but there is a learning curve. As Jim McGrew stated take a look at CAMaster, they build solid machines and have a great forum.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Nielsen View Post
    Consider writing a review in a separate thread after you've had some time on it. I've been watching the progress of the SO 3 for a few months and it sounds like it could be a great small/mid size machine.
    Thanks!

I think it’s a great machine — problem is, I’m not exactly unbiased.

If there’s someone w/in a reasonable driving distance of Mechanicsburg, Pa, I’d be willing to bring my machine to them for a day to try out if they’d be willing to write up such a review. Things this would need:

- track record of writing reviews of equipment in the forum
    - real interest in CNC
    - an original project design suited to being done in a 16" x 16" x 3" work area
    - materials for said project suited to being cut on an SO3 w/ the bits I have (mostly 1/8", Upcut, square and a ball-end — I’ve also got a 90 degree V-bit and some other 1/4" router bits)
    - a free Saturday or Sunday and a willingness to set up and photograph the machine in your workshop

Anyone who is interested, send me a PM w/ your location and link(s) to your reviews (here or other sites would be fine) and we’ll see what can be worked out. I’ve got a few things on the family calendar, but should be able to be flexible enough to work this out.

You running it with nema23s William? Is the controller pololu/clone stepper based? Is it still T2 belt on x and y?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You running it with nema23s William? Is the controller pololu/clone stepper based? Is it still T2 belt on x and y?
    The SO3 got upgraded to NEMA23 motors by default (only full kits shipping thus far and no provision on the plates for NEMA17s). Batch 1 kits are shipping w/: Wantai model: 57BYGH218-1 2.0A, 200 step, 125 oz./in.

Controller is a custom board which incrporates an Arduino running Grbl 0.9 --- high resolution (7.1MB) image here: http://timf.anansi-web.com/images/misc/carbide3d.jpg --- I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. What I've found is here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.p..._control_board

GT2 2mm belts (6mm wide) w/ 20-tooth pulleys on all 3 axes --- wondering if an Acme screw can be made to fit on the Z-, and going to try 9mm wide on X- and Y-, but the belts seems fine thus far --- drawing up a dust shoe now, so haven't cut much.

I'm actually worried they're not charging enough to make a reasonable profit --- the kit is ~50 lbs., much of which is extruded aluminum. Posted my initial thoughts here: http://www.reddit.com/r/shapeoko/com..._3_last_night/
    Last edited by William Adams; 04-26-2015 at 6:48 PM.

Lot's of good info there folks. I guess I need to rethink all this over. Most of what people are recommending is twice (or more) my budget. Maybe I need to find some local people that are willing to invest with me so I can get things started.

I'll keep researching and reading and learning. Then I will figure out what I need/want to do. Thank you all very much.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    I’ve just finished assembling my Shapeoko 3, a hobby-level CNC kit, which is muchly upgraded over the v2 — 85x55mm extrusions w/ no slots to detract from the rigidity. Initial working area is 16x16", but the designer just got some 5.5' extrusions to test and design a pair of upgrade kits which should afford a much larger work area: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5987

Still updating the wiki, but you may find it a useful resource even if you choose another machine: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3
    William,

Why did you choose the SO 3 over the X-Carve?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Why did you choose the SO 3 over the X-Carve?
    - really thick-walled 85x55mm extrusions w/ no slots to reduce the rigidity
    - improved engineering --- the X-carve X-axis carriage actually builds into the extrusion the spacing of the Shapeoko 2's unconnected X-axis rails (which remains as the low-hanging fruit for making a Shapeoko 2 or X-Carve more rigid)
    - better options for expandability --- a Shapeoko 2 (or X-Carve) can reasonably be expanded along the Y-axis by adding side supports up to a pretty much arbitrary length --- but the X-axis pretty much has to be re-built if one wants to go beyond the stock 500mm extrusions (and even at the stock length, one should go to the effort to fasten them together)

As a bonus, I got a free upgrade to NEMA23 motors.

The Shapeoko 2 (and by extension the X-Carve which is substantially the same design) is a great machine, at its stock size, but if one wants to expand, one realizes that it is at the limits of what Makerslide can reasonably be expected to do --- I think it's pretty telling that Inventables hasn't been publishing any numbers on Makerslide Load-bearing
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-27-2015 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Removed Forum Links

So.....let me ask this.......

Stinger II and ShopBot PRSstandard would be 2 good choices..???? Is the Stinger II better outfit "standard" than the Shopbot? I'm just trying to learn here and figure out what is really needed to make a nice CNC router setup where I don't need to spend another $6K on upgrades, options, and ya-gotta-have-this kind of thing.
    Dennis -

If the IQ's in the budget, why not get it? Completely turnkey, real spindle, no funky frankenstein software to worry about.

I've been doing this for a little over a year now, and I can't believe how important the fine control of spindle speed has been. (I like to work with different types of hardwood, metal and plastic, and they all have very different needs). Plus, working in an area that is often over 100 degrees, liquid cooling has been really good to have.

I'm sure these other machines have some slick attributes, but the adaptation of a home center router to CNC was a dealkiller for me. I can't imagine anyone saying that that is the "best" solution for CNC work.