Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a new shop - would appreciate your opinions

Since you are getting a lot of good advice, and I don't have the 1/2 hour to give you my "this is what I would do", when I don't know what you really need, and what would be nice to have, I'll just make this comment:

I LOVE your typo in your second sentence. I thought it was so appropriate to call your wife oaky (instead of okay) . Not that I know your wife, or think in any way that she is oaky, but if you are going to have a typo on a woodworking forum, that is about as good as it gets.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I would fill it with Old arn.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

One consideration...

and just a consideration mind you.

But perhaps top of the list should be a really nice piece of jewelry or other item your wife may enjoy.

You should still have a nice $9k leftover, and my bet is that the $1k investment will reap big returns down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Michael,

What types of woodworking do you envision being able to do with your new shop?

-Andrew
    I think this is the key question.

You Park a car in your Garage? Who does that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray DuBose View Post
    You Park a car in your Garage? Who does that?
    My Wife insists on parking her new Taurus in MY SHOP
    I keep a California duster handy.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Swap the table saw and workbench

Unless you are in the south and will always work with the garage door open, you might consider putting the table saw in the middle of the shop so you can rip stuff up to 11' or so with the door closed.

For Dust Collection, you might consider Clear Vue - they are back in business under new ownership. That is a unit you likely will not out grow anytime soon.

new shop

Michael
    I have a left tilt general saw and I put the bench dog table top router table on the left side and it's working really nice. Also if you have more then 4 ft.of dust collection duct in a run put a y with a cap in the duct.
    All of mine now are hooked up.It's funny what we come up with after the system is installed

Maybe she'll change her mind when she sees the saw dust all over the car.
    Fullerbuilt

I'll second the 3 hp cyclone. My 2 hp is just barely enough to keep up with my 18" woodmaster. If the filter needs cleaned, it leaves chips on the planer. Clean filter, gets it all. 3 hp would get it all even if it needed cleaned.

3hp min. on cyclone, 5hp preferred... more is better....

I love the Festool 75 saw suggestion..... it enables you to reduce the footprint of the TS, a huge floor hog... you don't have much space to start with... My Festool 75 is all I use for sheet goods... but if sheet goods is your norm, then a TS is not ideal to begin with, a slider is more ideal... again, as others have mentioned, you need to "back" into these decisions based on your work.

I 2nd the router attached to TS, huge space saver, and when not being used, its a massive work top you can use for glue ups, clamping, etc. Just be sure to cover the top :-) Of course this does not solve the sheet goods on TS issue, as its the length which is the bigger concern, not the width.

12" jointer prices are down, 8" is often a bit too short, and that is the first machine you hit...again, unless you use very small boards.... A combo jointer / planer like Grizz sells is a huge space saver, and if you can get one with the Shelix heads, you saved lots of space and got the best of both worlds, since the Shelix head can take a lot of abuse, I mean "use"....

Its amazing how fast you can spend 10k, huh...

I starting really setting my basement shop up last November/December and it is still coming along. Just got plans for building a router table in the mail today! And just like checking out the awesome completed projects here on SMC, I confess I never tire of these new shop scenarios and tool lists!

My own shop and budget were very similar to yours (SSPCS 52", DW735, G0490, DC, DP, etc.)...and for what its worth I went with the PCS 52". It does take up more space but it was only $100 more for the additional capacity...I knew if I had gone with the smaller I'd be kicking myself the next week.

I agree on getting a drill press. Depending on your work a square chisel mortiser can be a huge help.

My "big" advice: Keep some powder dry!

There's blades and tooling...dado set, rip blade, combination blade, some router bits, forstner bits, pilot bits, abrasives, bushing set, edge guide, straight edge and rules.

Got clamps?

Also, since I haven't seen it mentioned, plan to add a quality bench (if you don't have one). By the time you take care of wood, any unique bits or tooling, vices and dogs...this may set you back over $1000.

Leave some money for hand tools too! They are an expense that adds up in New York minute. A few planes (LN 102 block, LV Med. shoulder, and LN iron smooth in my case...over $500), a set of bench chisels, starrett combo square, 4" double square, marking gauge, bevel gauge, dovetail saw, rasp, marking knife, card/cabinet scrapers and burnisher.

Sharpening stones? Grinder? Strop? You don't to be a neander to have a basic hand tool package...and man some simple stuff becomes as central to your work as a good table saw.
    Last edited by Matt Kestenbaum; 07-21-2010 at 10:21 PM.