Thread: Why shouldn't the pressure drop?

Why shouldn't the pressure drop?

As I understand it, BP has concerns that the pressure on the Gulf well is lower than they thought it would be (6500 psi, I think). I am not a resovoir engineer, but I know that resovoirs deplete over time when flowing.
    This well has flowed for almost 3 months and has flowed almost 2 1/4 million barrels (low estimate).
    Does it not make sense that the pressure would be lower than it was at the time of the explosion.

Along similar lines (and I haven't checked this out), I got an e-mail yesterday saying the $20 billion would actually make BP $7 billion. Because an accrual has to be taken according to GAP (general accounting principles), and coupled with the dividend savings, the tax impact will increase their profit by $7 billion. As I say, I won't vouch for this, but I have not seen a lot of kicking and screaming!
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

As I understand it, they want the pressure to remain steady or increase. This would indicate a tight seal and no additional leaks. A pressure drop would indicate the opposite.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

A drop or fluctuation in pressure would indicate a lack of integrity in the well pipe. If oil is leaking somewhere between the sea floor and the oil reservoir we've got a pretty major problem.

I'm concerned that no one has come out and said it is a done deal. I do know there was concerned raised as to the quality and integrity of the pipe used for the well. But this was back in early May.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.