Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performax drum sander casters

Performax drum sander casters

So I'm looking at picking up a Performax 16-32 drum sander. I need it to have a mobile base so I can move it around easily. I see that Jet offers a set of casters, but they are over $100. For that price I was thinking I would just pick up a rockler universal moblie base. Then I also thought about getting a set of casters from Harbor Freight. They have 3" and 4" swivel locking casters for about $7-8 each.

What do you think would be the best course of action for make this mobile.

Thanks
    Derek
    Not allowed

I put some cheap casters on my drum sander and they work great. They roll, they lock, what more could ask of casters?

No way was I going to pay 100+ for Jets casters.

I bought mine before Jet bought Performax but my Performax casters are some of the nicest ones I've come across. Very smooth rolling and they lock solidly too. Dont know if they're the same as what Jet is currently selling for them. Lee Valley has some nice ones very similar to the Performax casters though they're plate mount (not sure if they have the same in stem mount).
    Use the fence Luke

My 16-32 rolls around nicely on the 4" red ones from Hartville Tool. The swivel ones have the dual lock, which keeps them from rolling and from swiveling. They easily support thr weight.

The sander is not very heavy, so IMO any double locking caster set would work. I found some for 6 bucks each locally. Of course, if you pay more you'll get a much nicer caster set. I would also say that a set of swivel casters would be better than a mobile base, since most mobile bases have 1 set of fixed wheels.

Just my $0.02.

I used the orange ones from Woodcraft that I bought when they were 30% off at my local store (seems like they are always on discount there). They work great and were much cheaper than the Jet wheels.

Blog Entries
    If I had to buy casters for mine, I wouldn't pay the $106 that are asked. However, I bought mine (Performax 16-32+) and the stand and casters came with it. There is no doubt that they are very nice and it rolls around like it weighed 5lbs. They lock and release with the toe of your shoe and frankly, are the best casters of anything I've ever owned. I'm still cheap though, and wouldn't pay it if over $100 had to come out of my pocket for them.

I have the 22-44 and the open frame. I put casters on it. The frame cannot handle it (the mounting area for the casters warps). But the 16-32 should be fine. I was thinking of adding a shelf, but the caster shanks are too short. Whaa.

I bought the "real" casters from Performax a long time ago, before I knew better. I did get them off ebay, so I got some discount. They are nice, I admit that..

If I had to do it over, I would probably get generic ones. However, I don't think I'd go with HF ones. I'd pay a little more. I have casters from Hartville tool that work well (on other machines)..People speak highly of the woodcraft ones too. You want casters that will lock the wheel and the swivel.

I bought the performax casters with my 22-44 pro. Its a #500 machine, it rolls effortlessly, it locks like its bolted to the ground, they are the nicest double locking casters I have seen period. They bolt on the machine easily and very solid. I remember thinking "for $100, these had better be the best casters I have ever seen or they can stick them up their...."
    I still own them. Enough said.

If finances don't allow, you could probably get by with some of the cheaper casters, but for the money you save you get cheaper casters. They have a bit of play, they wobble a bit, they cant under load, making it a bit harder to roll and lock. I've tried a few el cheepo $7 models, my back is worth more.

The 22-44 pro has a wide stance with the truss style legs that does'n take well to your average mobile base, but it might be a good option for some of the models with more of a cabinet stand. For my sander the casters were the most sensible option, and great casters are always in fashion.

I bought a nice set from great lakes caster for about $25. If you check out facebook and do a search for great lakes caster they have a free shipping code. You cant be the quality and price. I have 4 swivels on the old performax I can park it where ever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I bought the performax casters with my 22-44 pro. Its a #500 machine, it rolls effortlessly, it locks like its bolted to the ground, they are the nicest double locking casters I have seen period. They bolt on the machine easily and very solid. I remember thinking "for $100, these had better be the best casters I have ever seen or they can stick them up their...."
    I still own them. Enough said.
    So once you put the casters on the open frame. you never had any problems with them torquing the mounting points?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    I bought a nice set from great lakes caster for about $25. If you check out facebook and do a search for great lakes caster they have a free shipping code. You cant be the quality and price. I have 4 swivels on the old performax I can park it where ever I want.
    I checked them out but saw that the stems only go down to 1/2". The stems on the rubber feet appear to be 3/8".

What size stems are you all using on your drum sander?

Thanks!
    Not allowed

3" woodcraft casters with 3/8" stem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Northern Tool & Machinery

Northern Tool has the best overall pricing on casters. And just about everything else you might want to buy. They don't sell big power tools, table saws, etc but they do sell amall drill presses, etc. I have never had any problems with Northern Too products and have saved lots of cash. They do accept on-line orders and frequently have good deals like free shipping, etc or they will ship free to your local store if you buy on-line. Great hard copy catalog for free.