Thread: Couple of picture frame questions

Couple of picture frame questions

So I'm making some frames for certs for my boys. Design and assembly are easy. However, curious about the glass and backing.

1. BORG has thin, picture frame looking glass. I belive it's enough to do 2 or 3 8x10 frames for about $5. That sound good or should I get it elsewhere or use plexi?

2. What do ya'll use for backing? Was thinking about 1/8" hardboard, but again, it doesn't always work out right when I get to thinking

As always, thanks for the inputs!!!

I've used the BORG plexi for things hanging in my daughter's room. It has worked out fine so far. I can't say anything about cost relative to other sources, though.

For backing, I usually use matte board. If you're framing something nice, acid-free matte board would be my recommendation. Hardboard should work if you're not as concerned about the contents lasting for many years without any deterioration. I can't say from experience whether or not hardboard would affect the contents, but I usually try to err on the safe side.

I have used hardboard but you need to make sure it does not come in contact with the cert. So use some acid free matt or other stock.

I prefer glass over plexi. You can get some resonable framing glass from your arts and crafts stores. Many glass suppliers also keep standard sizes pre-cut.

4. If you want long term durability, then use an acid-free backer like others have suggested -- otherwise, just about anything will work.

And I prefer glass over plexi. Plexi will scratch with normal cleanings, glass will not.

Didn't even think to call a glass company and see what they have on hand. Hobby Lobby doesn't do the glass anymore, but they'd probably be a good source for the acid-free backer? These are their belt certs from Tae Kwon Do, so I'd like to preserve them best I could.

Blog Entries
    What you want for an 8 x 10 frame is "single strength" glass. Call your local glass shops for a comparative price. I like using acid free foam core board for the backing material.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use a local glass place. I believe most picture frame glass usually runs me about $6 for ~9x11.

Home Depot has precut pieces of single strength glass. IIRC, it was about half the cost of what a craft store wanted.

I used to use glass (Lowe's will custom cut it still for free and as others have mentioned, HD has pre-cut pieces for common frame sizes). However, I have recently started using plexiglass -- it can easily be cut with regular tools, it is lighter weight and it does not break. It does cost a little more, but for me the benefits are worth it over traditional glass.

Scot

My local glass supplier cuts 3mm glass to size, a piece for a certificate is about $3..........Rod.

I go to the dollar store and buy frames, for a buck each you get the glass, backing and the easle to use in your frame.

I go to the dollar store and buy frames, for a buck each you get the glass, backing and the easle to use in your frame.
    +1 to that.

Yeah, I'd seen the cheap'o frames at Wally World for a couple of bucks, but all them had the plexi. I'll have to check out the dollar store and see what they have. Because I kept putting it off, I have about 25 of them to do. But she said if I don't get them done, she's going to buy some

At 25 of them, you could consider buying a glass cutter and knocking them out of larger glass stock yourself. Cutting glass into rectangles isn't that hard (unless you a klutz); it's not like cutting inside curves in heavy stained glass stock. A rough guess would be that you could get the single strength glass for $50 to $75, figure $10 for a cheap but good-enough cutter and some kerosene to lubricate it. If you do find cheap frames w/ real glass it could definitely be an attractive option. Another thing to consider; are your kids safe around untempered glass? If they put an object through plain-o-winda-glass it'll make sharps.