Thread: Opinion Needed

Question Opinion Needed

Just need a quick opinion on two things.

First, I'm pretty sure this is not possible but I'll ask anyway. Would CerMark work on 14K gold? I'm concerned that surface would be too shiny. This would be going on a small charm. I would also be concerned that it may rub off with wear.

Second, again...I'm pretty sure this is not possible. I have a customer who wants to have this laser engraved: http://swedausa.com/frontend/proddet...00708,10000713

Seeing as how it says brushed metal, I'm skeptical that this will work. I told the customer it would be best if it was anodized aluminum, also mentioned it would engrave a whitish color. The customer is going to bring one by tomorrow so I can physically see it as seeing is believing so to speak. This could be a job for CerMark but I don't think I want to paint 50 of these...

Blog Entries
    GOLD: It's not easy, but gold can be done... your settings have to be spot on. That said, it's not a durable mark when it comes to jewelry cleaning solutions, and it will wipe off under those chemicals as if it was made with a black marker.

I would only do it if the piece was going to be stored under glass for display...

USB KEY: I question whether or not that is actually metal and not just aluminum colored plastic as most USB sticks are (have three of them like that on my desk right now).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Good point about the USB, I'll know better when the customer brings it in but I'm almost 99% sure it isn't laserable which I tried to tell my customer.

That USB says metal so it should really be metal. If it is, chances are it will have a clearcoat on it and I'd suggest trying one but warn them it might not work. When I have done such items I engrave one pass to get to the bare metal, then without moving it, apply the Cermark and run again.

As for the gold, I have done very tiny lettering on gold doll bracelets, and it worked fine, but as Dan said it has to be focused perfectly, I made a jig to hold them in place.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I guess USB keys are so common these days they don't even need to mention the capacity. Hmmm.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Blog Entries
    Doug,

The price list includes the various capacities at your disposal...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'd sub the USB sticks out to a screen printer and take a markup.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Special USB for lasering
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Most of those USB's are pad printed for a few pennies each.. Unless their stainless, I won't even bother with them in any quantity.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it