Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening with a grinder - direction and felt wheel

It might be an American/Canadian cultural divide, but I honestly don't know what you mean by that. Fortunately I'm not particularly bothered to know.

I get pretty good results trying to emulate a few generous (often, but not always, professional) craftsmen I look up to (who get fantastic results with the methods I am emulating). In kind, I'll try to pass on what's worked for me so far.

Thanks everyone. Actually Steve, I have been thinking along the same lines. The grinder was on sale and I could use it for other things so I bought it. However, I am not in a hurry to do something I really am not sure about with sharp tools and fast spinning objects. I may just stick to my stones and leather strop for now and then some day, when I feel I deserve it, get a Tormek and use it. If I do try the felt wheel it will be in the right direction - spinning up and away.

However, Tim's and Tony's advice is just as much appreciated and I don't think Tim deserved what could easily be interpreted as sarcasm. Chalk it up to the internet where you can't read faces, expressions and tone.

Funny, but as for standing next to people, I have done quite a bit of that and seen those who make a living with wood working and carpentry do things that I learned NOT to do right here on the web and a couple times they ended up screwing up a nice piece of wood, a tool or their own hands.

Don't try to rewire the motor to run backwards. If you do, the nuts that hold the wheels on will not stay tight. Thats why the left side wheel has left hand threads.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Thanks everyone. Actually Steve, I have been thinking along the same lines. The grinder was on sale and I could use it for other things so I bought it. However, I am not in a hurry to do something I really am not sure about with sharp tools and fast spinning objects. I may just stick to my stones and leather strop for now and then some day, when I feel I deserve it, get a Tormek and use it. If I do try the felt wheel it will be in the right direction - spinning up and away.

However, Tim's and Tony's advice is just as much appreciated and I don't think Tim deserved what could easily be interpreted as sarcasm. Chalk it up to the internet where you can't read faces, expressions and tone.

Funny, but as for standing next to people, I have done quite a bit of that and seen those who make a living with wood working and carpentry do things that I learned NOT to do right here on the web and a couple times they ended up screwing up a nice piece of wood, a tool or their own hands.
    Your edges will be just fine coming off the grinder and then honed on your bench stones. Buffing is not all that it's cracked up to be, unless you're polishing sterling flatware, a tea service, or something like that.
    Last edited by Steve Dallas; 07-14-2010 at 6:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Put View Post
    It might be an American/Canadian cultural divide, but I honestly don't know what you mean by that. Fortunately I'm not particularly bothered to know.

I get pretty good results trying to emulate a few generous (often, but not always, professional) craftsmen I look up to (who get fantastic results with the methods I am emulating). In kind, I'll try to pass on what's worked for me so far.
    Just a joke from a silly commercial that runs here in the States. No big deal.

I really didn't see the sarcasm myself as I've seen the commercial many a times, unfortunatly. It is def hard to read what is meant especially with the vast variety of locations we come from here. I got the joke and think it was in good humor.

I also agree that buffing your edge on a felt wheel is not all it's made out to be and could possibly do more harm than good. It's really not the right tool to use for final honing of cutting tools as it is spinning much to fast. A leather strop should be plenty sufficient. The buffing wheel is def nice to have on the grinder for many other applications though. I use mine just as much as the grinding wheel, just not for cutting tools.