Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monstrous Redoux (Now with pics)

Monstrous Redoux (Now with pics)

The swan neck bar that is supplied with the Monster hollowing system can be mounted in either the captured or the articulated rigs. But the bar itself can only accept the carbide scrapers and not the HSS cutters. I found myself wanting to mount the cutters on the swan necked bar and was slightly disappointed that I was unable to do so. I inquired as to the possibility of having a swan neck bar made up that is bored and tapped for set screws in the same manner as the straight boring bar. Randy replied that he used to offer a swan neck bar that was so configured but that it did not sell very well so he stopped making them. However, he offered to make one up for me so I went ahead and paced an order with him for one. It seems to me that this will vastly increase the versatility of the system. So, just in case there are any others out there with one or the other (or both) of the hollowing rigs who would like to be able to mount the HSS tool holders on the swan neck bar, all you need to do is ask. Randy told me it would be the same price as the "standard" swan neck bar which I thought was very reasonable.

Here's a couple of "phone shots" of the articulated rig set up on my lathe. I really like these tools!

monster_3.jpg

monster_4.jpg
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 07-12-2010 at 9:43 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Good info to know!! Thanks, David.

David I have both swan neck bars you described the older and newer. I also got the handle from Randy so I can use either swan necks freehand or with my captured unit and the articulating arm unit. I like having both.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

"I also got the handle..."

A handle was included with my tooling also. A nice touch...
    David DeCristoforo

Pretty nice customer service. Good thing you had the forethought to make the inquiry.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

David,

Just looked at the swan neck bar on Randy's site and it looks like it will hold straight tool bits, the carbide bit holder, or the swivel tool bit holder. The picture shows it with the swivel bit holder mounted. I'm confused, which is not unusual. What am I missing?
    Richard in Wimberley

"What am I missing?..."

The swan neck bar has a threaded hole in the end for a screw so you can attach various scrapers, etc. I want one that is bored out like the straight boring bar like this:

http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart....category_id=60
    David DeCristoforo

I just noticed that the articulating system doesn't include the swan neck bar at all! I considered adding the swan neck bar which is another $55 or so, but I decided just to upgrade to the combo package. That way I'll get the captured system which includes the swan neck bar. I just sent the email, so I don't know whether Randy will allow me to change the order or not.

Thanks for posting this, David. I should have paid more attention to what was/was not included in the articulating system before I ordered it.

David, can you post a link to a picture of the swan neck bar with the threaded hole in the end please. It sounds like the one you want would be an excellent addition to the articulated rig.
    Richard in Wimberley

You are an evil man, David DeCristoforo, an agent of the vortex!!! I have emailed Randy!!

Please - no more posts of other indispensible items!

Thanks David. I finally got that it takes the swivel parts but not the entire swivel tool bit holder. That's what I was missing. Wish I had a few spare $$. I would add one more to your order.
    Richard in Wimberley

"You are an evil man..."

Mu haa haa.... I'm gonna get Randy Privett to put me on commission....
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Mu haa haa.... I'm gonna get Randy Privett to put me on commission....
    Actually, when I spoke to Randy this morning he indicated that he had been answering emails since 6am... Keeton's name was mentioned among others. I explained that the entire thing was David's fault, and that I was terribly sorry to be bothering him. I'm not sure being responsible for multiple change orders gets a commission.

"I explained that the entire thing was David's fault..."

Yeah... thanx for that.

The funny thing was that I thought I was "inventing" something, only to find out that what I wanted was actually a product that was "discontinued due to lack of interest". So now, instead of the guy being grateful to me for giving him a great idea, he'll probably be pissed because I caused him a bunch of extra work. Ahh well... so it goes...
    David DeCristoforo