Thread: Maple champagne glass

Maple champagne glass

I had a chunk of squared off 8/4 by 8/4 by 8" maple sitting around from cutting down some squared stock to fit it in my car, so I figured that I would play around with it. I didn't hollow out the center because I am still waiting on my bowl gauge, but it was fun to make. One of my first pieces since getting my lathe, definitely getting a better feel for things, maybe once I turn a few hundred more pieces I will understand what it takes to make the items that I am seeing here. The piece is unfinished as it was just a "see if I can do this" piece, sanded it to 320 and called it good enough for a practice item.

I bought my lathe and turning tools when I went to a barn to buy other tools and bought it thinking it might be fun to have, if not I'd just sell it. Guess that those impulse buys are worth it sometimes.

FWIW, the glass is symmetrical, I just took a quick picture with my cell phone and had it at an angle. As I'm just starting out, any comments and criticism are welcome and appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Terrill; 07-12-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling error

Great shape

Jim,
    Great shape, nothing negative I can see. You nailed a wooden champagne glass quite nicely there. Unfortunately, you won't likely have enough stock left in the stem to hollow it without splitting...but for just messing around with shapes and outside work...I think it looks super. Great job!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Good looking shape on it. I agree that there is not enough wood left to hollow out the interior. Hollow the interior first then shape and finish. Other than that well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with Tim, you did a great job on the shape. Just messing around like this is a good way to learn. On the next one try hollowing it out, just be sure the hollowing is done before the stem.

Nice work Jim. The form looks good. Some addictions are good for you.

Since you are in a "Lets see what I can do" mood....maybe you should see just how light your touch is. Guaranteed...that stem will fail if you hollow even the slightest bit aggressive....But they say...a light touch will work wonders. Well...A light touch and a steady rest maybe. We'll be expecting an update...snap or no snap.

Welcome to the abyss.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Nice work Jim. The form looks good. Some addictions are good for you.

Since you are in a "Lets see what I can do" mood....maybe you should see just how light your touch is. Guaranteed...that stem will fail if you hollow even the slightest bit aggressive....But they say...a light touch will work wonders. Well...A light touch and a steady rest maybe. We'll be expecting an update...snap or no snap.

Welcome to the abyss.
    Given that the stem is about 3/16"- 1/4", I think even a light touch would probably make it explode. The good news is that I have lots of the same material, so I can hollow it out first on another piece and not risk the pucker factor.

Looks good. One idea -- not a perfect solution but if you can make a jig to hold the bowl fimly, use a forsner bit to drill out the interior down a way. Not meant for use but it would make in look good sitting on a shelf.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Jim, very nice work on the form of this piece, and I agree that it would not withstand hollowing! But, it sure is great practice for another one.