Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best raster-to-Vector software

Best raster-to-Vector software

I spend a lot of time creating vector images from raster using Coreldraw X3. The images I work with rarely convert well with the Coreldraw trace function and I am left with usoig the other Coreldraw drawing features to trace the images.

Does someone know of software that does a much better job than the trace function in Coreldraw?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

Blog Entries
    Try Inkscape... free, and a much better converter.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Better yet, there are many good sources out there that will do it for $15-20 each image. Pay them, charge $60 for doing it and you'll be money ahead.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Illustrator's trace is much better than Corel's according to a lot of graphic sites. I had only used Illustrator and I must say its pretty good.
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

Dan, I recently bought X5 coming up from version 12. In your opinion, do you think inkscape is better than X5? I was amazed at how much things were improved from 12 to X5.
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

Blog Entries
    X5 is vastly improved, but Inkscape still wins hands down.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One of our own

One of our own creekers offers the service. William Derochers with Excalibur Creations has converted several of my projects for me. His work is awesome and reasonable prices....and the best thing I usually have the same day or within 24-48 hours. I hope it is ok to put his link up...
    http://www.excaliburcreations.com/

Even in the process of moving he did a conversion for me..... I would highly reccomend him, especially if you are a newbie, do this part time and have little time to do your own conversions.
    Thanks
    Tim
    Tim Baude
    Legends Awards & Custom Engraving
    Epilog Helix 24, 45w, CorelDRAW X4

I agree with Dan - my vote is for Inkscape, better and faster than any other I have tried, amazing for something that is free
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

Inkscape vs Illustrator? I use Illustrator and find it pretty good when converting images to vector. Some edges might be a bit ropey but nothing a little design work wont fix. I have recently tried vector magic which it extremely easy to use and the results are fantastic.

Inkscape is free, I use it and I am happy with it for the most part, based on the price I had to pay.

I would nominate Vector Magic, you used to be able to do it online, but now you can purchase a computer based version and it works very well
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I use wintopo, there is a freeware, as well as a professional version, it's very fast and I get good results. I used it for very large cad scans, that seem to break Corel draw. it's best used when you want center line tracing.
    Last edited by Joe De Medeiros; 07-13-2010 at 2:13 PM.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Thanks everyone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

I used Inkscape for a simple logo yesterday and it worked wonderfully. The only thing I didn't like was I was working with a color logo and I couldn't figure out how to keep the logo in color. I'm sure I could keep the original image, suck up the color, and fill it back into the letters, but it seems like a few extra steps I would like to not have to deal with. Otherwise, Illustrator's live trace is pretty good. My biggest issue with Illustrator is although it might look nice, when I bring it into Gravostyle the image needs a lot of work to get is grouped back together properly. Their paths can sometimes be a HUGE mess. Sometimes I just say screw it, make a stupid high resolution PDF file and that imports in as almost like a SVG. Obviously this is not good enough for CNC machines, but it works on the laser.

I've also used Vectormagic several times and been happy with the result. If I know the logo is beyond just a basic trace, I have a company in India I deal with that will recreate artwork for me for $10 typically. I'd say I do a 50/50 split between doing the artwork conversion myself and sending it out. I'd say 15-20% of the artwork I receive is not even usable for conversion purposes and I'll either have to find a better image, substitute an image, or flat out deny the service. It's amazing how many people give me 80px images out of a Word document and expect it to engrave wonderfully.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I received a few PMs from people who wanted to know who I work with in India. You may need to be an ASI account holder to work with them. Frankly, I'm not sure if they care. The company is Nittany Creative. So far, I've been mostly happy with them. On highly detailed logos like plants you might find them making substitutions of similar looking artwork. Also sometimes they send me something that doesn't look that great. With that said, I've never had an issue with telling them to fix it and them actually fixing it.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving