Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Best Craigslist Score??

Blog Entries

Whats Your Best Craigslist Score??

alright everyone, lets hear a few of your best Craigslist scores??

here are just a few of my best scores

Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner LNIB - $25

Hegner scroll saw $75

Ridgid 14" band saw - traded for some ammunition

Delta 12 inch planer Mint - $40

Craftsman 17" drill press, Like New $175

Jet DC1100 New $150

Last edited by Kevin Gregoire; 07-11-2010 at 4:26 PM.

6" Jet jointer- $50
    Delta Contractor saw- $200
    Dewalt Biscuit joiner (new)- $60 plus a bunch of oak that came with the above
    3 honing oilstones and guide - $15
    Delta midi lathe and 6 crown turning tools -$160
    Laguna 16" band saw with 3 3/4" blades and 1 1/4" blade - $500

Most recent one- $300 for as much as I wanted from a barn, the woman's grandfather used to build cabinets and she wanted it gone, so there were huge piles of partially built oak cabinets as well as mahogany, cherry, oak and 8/4 by 15" wide hard maple slabs as well as piles of different cherry moldings. I took 1 sheet of 3/4" mdf but there were another 3 that I left, along with a lot of other cabinet parts that I just couldn't justify.

Blonde, about 5' 6", ... oh, wait, you mean tools. Sorry. I've sold much more on CL than I've bought, but I recently got a Ryobi 1 1/2 hp router, plus router table, plus a like new Delta benchtop jointer, all for $140. Not spectacular, but not bad...

John: those blondes are expensive!

I don't buy much on craig's list because I don't have time to surf it. I did manage to snag a Grizzly 18/36 drum sander in excellent condition for $450.

a 12" unipoint RAS from ~1948, 300 bucks, original motor and bearings are still just fine.

I bought a pop up camper for 1500. Its a 2001 Coleman sedona in great condition. My one and only Craigslist purchase. We already spent one wonderful week in it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Everyone but my wife would say I have made off like a bandit on CL during the past year and a half!

I must say it's a dead-heat between the Woodmaster 3820 7.5hp double drum sander for $1200! Getting to eat lunch at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston MO (home of the throwed rolls) was an added perk!

and...the Shop Fox W1739 Moulder with a TON of knives and eliptical jig for $675! I treated myself to Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City that trip!

[/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Got a homemade band saw and table saw (both gilbert kits) along with a 1950's craftsman wood lathe, all for free. I drove 150 miles one way to pick them up but with the lathe and the 2 hp 220 volt motor that was on the tablesaw I just couldn't pass it up.

1960's craftsman 6" jointer for $40. Drove 75 miles to get it and when I got there he threw in a Bluegrass No. 9 plane, a stanley 220 and 120 block plane, a japanese pull saw, craftsman dovetail saw, AMT right and left handed offset back saw, and an old post office box door, and an old jeweler's saw

Cool Powermatic Model 90 Lathe

I recently bought my first and so far only item off of CL, a Powermatic model 90 lathe in excellent condition. The extras made the $600 deal that much better.

An even better experience than that however is a large set of Fine Woodworking mags I just bought from SMC's very own Jim Barrett. For the most part FWW caters more toward technique rather than to the 'gear-head' crowd making them somewhat timeless magazines. I get the feeling that Jim's intent was to get them into appreciative hands rather than to try to get a fair value for them. If that was in fact his goal, he has certainly achieved it with me. It also reaffirms my impression that there is generally a very nice bunch of people on this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

The guy I work with just got a Ritter 375 V pneumatic door framing clamp table. It looks about new, works fine and has an extra clamp and regulator. Online new it lists for about $4500 - he got it for $40. It cost about ten times the machine cost to ship it as it weighs 850 pounds. The shop he bought it from said they were changing processes and didn't need it any more. Why $40 I couldn't say.

This is the same guy who bought an original (1938 or 1939) Delta Unisaw off Craigslist about three years ago for $50. In addition to being a collector's item it has cut several thousand feet of wood. Originally it took new belts and a tuneup but after the use it's seen had to have a new arbor not long ago but the motor is still performing like a champ. No shipping as it was less than a hundred miles away and close enough to pick up.
    And now for something completely different....

Not so much about price, but...

I bought a floor sander that's made to go under radiators, it's commonly called a Duckbill sander or something similar. Mine's made by Porter-Cable. I bought it and a Clarke EZ-8 drum sander last fall from a floor place that was cutting back on equipment to save money in tough times. The manager sheepishly called me a day or two later, wanting to buy the Duckbill PC back since he had been informed by the floor sanding crew that he'd sold the wrong machine to me. Like, their best machine and not one of the more used models. Hmm, I STILL have the Duckbill sander, but DID say that I might sell it back to them once I'm done finishing all my floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Everyone but my wife would say I have made off like a bandit on CL during the past year and a half!

I must say it's a dead-heat between the Woodmaster 3820 7.5hp double drum sander for $1200! Getting to eat lunch at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston MO (home of the throwed rolls) was an added perk!

and...the Shop Fox W1739 Moulder with a TON of knives and eliptical jig for $675! I treated myself to Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City that trip!

Oh GOD, I think the knives alone qualify you for a lifetime gloat!! Nice, very nice grinding on them...

Well, it was last year.

Delta Unisaw, few years old, other than rust on top, great condition with 52" Biesemeyer fence, mobile base, and extension table
    Delta 6" jointer, few years old, not even put together yet, no rust
    Craftsman drill press, almost new condition
    Penn State DC-3 Dust collector.
    Delta tennoning jig
    Set of Freud SD-508 dado blades
    A bench vise.
    A tapering jig.
    Two C clamps.
    A set of 1/2 shank router bits.
    A Dremmel sanding tool.
    Two push blocks.
    A dado insert (already on saw).
    Standard insert.
    Extra Dado insert.
    Kerf separater.
    Blade safety shield (not shown).
    11 sets of Accuride drawer guides.
    Porter Cable router guide

ALL FOR $300!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, can't believe I got another chance to gloat on my gloat. hehehehehehehehe

Pics at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118339
    I drink, therefore I am.