Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its orange and ugly!

Its orange and ugly!

Well I guess it is a gloat of sorts if you are in the market for a 26" throat antique band saw with a 10" resaw capacity! I got this beast from a buddy so I can cut up turning blanks much easier and it is just cool! For $150.00 it was hard to pass up, but I have to get a motor for it and I have a line on a 5HP 220V off of an air compressor that threw a rod. I will have to see if it will do the trick and since it is "FREE" no matter I will have a motor to play with! Here are the pictures for proof! It needs some TLC and a new paint job but it cuts like crazy.

Don't be envious of all the work I have to do now!!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Way to cool! Great score!!

That looks like quite a beast. I can see a circle cutting jig platform on it to cut out the bowl blanks. Are you making a base for the motor and saw? You have a little project on your hands. What size and type of blade are you planning on using? That 5 HP motor will handle a fairly hefty (wide) blade, but cutting circular blanks would indicate going with a narrower blade such as the 3/8" 3 TPI Green Wood blade at Highland Hardware.

new tools are nice and I wish I had the money to get some of them but I also feel good when you find a golden oldie hid somewhere and come across it for cheap.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing some action shots of that beast AFTER it's painted. Wow... That is ORANGE!!!

Jeff, you just don't have time for this... bring it on down here, and I'll take care of all that old junk for you...

Want to see it finished next weekend...
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Way to go Jeff! They don't make em like they used to!
    Tom

Jeff, with your skills, that thing will be up and running in no time!! And, a much more attractive color I am betting!

Congrats - great find.

Nice find,I'll have to come down and see it.
    Guess you wo'nt be needing that ol'Jet thats just in your way now .
    I'll take it off your hand for you.

Congrats Jeff. Nice looking saw. Oh well another thing to add to your list.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

awesome

Dude, that sonofagun has to be vintage WWI.... I say tune it up and leave the paint - it'll keep the racoons outa your shop!
    mj

I Googled "F.E. Satterlee Co." and came across a post on another forum about old machinery. Here's part of it:

The Satterlee Company was established in 1897. Sold machine tools, hand tools and related. Located at 2200 East Franklin in Minneapolis with a branch in Cedar Rapids Iowa and Duluth. Bought out by Bossert and business moved to Plymouth I think? ....Grainger was shutting Boosert down in 1996. Bossert was part of Graingers.

So, your bandsaw is quite old. The man who founded the company died and his son took over in the 30s, but I don't know when Bossert bought it out.

Here's a link to a 1920 photograph of their facility in Minneapolis:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualre...56271&CFTOKEN=

Have fun with that beast. I would imagine it weighs about a ton.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Congrats Jeff! Looks like it will be a nice refurnish project! Glad to see you have something to do so you don't get in any trouble!

Watch out for your back with that thing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Two words. Powder Coating.

Scarlet and Gray if you need suggestions.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I Googled "F.E. Satterlee Co." and came across a post on another forum about old machinery. Here's part of it:

The Satterlee Company was established in 1897. Sold machine tools, hand tools and related. Located at 2200 East Franklin in Minneapolis with a branch in Cedar Rapids Iowa and Duluth. Bought out by Bossert and business moved to Plymouth I think? ....Grainger was shutting Boosert down in 1996. Bossert was part of Graingers.

So, your bandsaw is quite old. The man who founded the company died and his son took over in the 30s, but I don't know when Bossert bought it out.

Here's a link to a 1920 photograph of their facility in Minneapolis:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualre...56271&CFTOKEN=

Have fun with that beast. I would imagine it weighs about a ton.
    Nancy, Thanks for the research! I was nursing a sore back and other things most of the day after I got the beast home! I will do some more looking as time permits!

Thanks again,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown