Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Honing Compound on MDF? Really??

I think it's been many posts since I've heard anything about "Honing Compound on MDF"!!!!

Autosol is an excellent metal polish made in Germany. We used it to re polish items at Williamsburg (not antique items). We also put it on strops. Worked fine. Nuf'said.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Autosol is an excellent metal polish made in Germany. We used it to re polish items at Williamsburg (not antique items). We also put it on strops. Worked fine. Nuf'said.
    I'm sure it's a fine product.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Are you really that lacking in basic comprehension? Did you really not gather that the list of items i stated after "in my shop" are WIP?

Somehow, I get the sense that Steve Dallas isn't your real name.
    Funny you ask. My name is actually David Weaver (no joking, it's really true). The forum name was already taken so Steve Dallas was the first thing that came to mind.

Clear your WIP and post some pics.

You must've missed the posts of my last two infills.

I'll post some of the rest of the stuff the day after you're banned for using a fake ID. No, really, it's true!

Why would I post pictures for your edification when you are too much of a coward to use your real name? I'd rather you sit around and believe that I don't build anything.

By the way, you still may not be who i'm guessing you are, especially after seeing the awful finish work on the table you posted.

You are really hot,David!! but,I think you are allowed to use whatever name you want. On other forums,people use all kinds of names,numbers,etc..

I don't know. I've certainly kept up with your work.

Steve,you really have been pretty hard on some guys lately. I've gotten tired myself of endless discussions of how to sharpen,matte vs. shiny. It does go on forever. But,once you or I or anyone has said his piece,there is nothing more to do,really. This is a home shop type forum,and some guys get peculiar ideas how to do things.

You may call them "peculiar ideas", but the simple fact is they do work.
    Traditional methods work, that's why they are traditional.
    New methods work too, often arriving as new materials become affordable.
    There are three sharpening mediums with which a can make an edge sharp enough that when you touch a hair to it (away from skin) the hair just sort of folds over. If that's not sharp enough for you say so, though I won't believe you. All three are as fast or faster than stones. They are: 3m microabrasives, 0.5u diamond paste on either mdf or acrylic/polycarbonate, and powered strops.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You are really hot,David!! but,I think you are allowed to use whatever name you want. On other forums,people use all kinds of names,numbers,etc..
    It's certainly not illegal (except oddly in S.Korea) to use a fake name on the Internet, but that it not what is in question. It's against the Sawmill Creek TOS to use a fake name, and they have every right legal and ethical to kick someone off for failling to comply with the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
    Building furniture is not a miserable activity. Put the Lee Valley catalog down and try it sometime.
    This is a funny conversation. I never thought MDF could generate so much controversy. The ironic thing is, I just ordered a router plane from lee valley, partially based on some advice Steve posted in another thread. Maybe that wasn't your intention Steve, but I clicked "buy" after I read your post stating how very important a router plane is. Now I can in fact put the catalog down and go build some furniture. - (Please note friendly smiley face)

I didn't mean to necessarily imply peculiar in a bad way. Used the wrong word. Here goes again: guys often develop their own ways of doing things,and then want to write about them.

Speaking as someone who has fallen into the trap many times himself, isn't it amazing how aggravated we can become reading messages on an internet forum? We (I) get so bothered when other people don't see the world as we (I) do! We use Sawmill Creek for information, but most of us also use it because we enjoy woodworking and like to talk about it. Therefore, the rule should probably be that if a message isn't enjoyable for us to post, we shouldn't post it.

> Therefore, the rule should probably be that if a message isn't enjoyable for us to post, we shouldn't post it.

Or even more important, if a post (or thread) is not enjoyable to read, don't read it! People forget this!