Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biscuit Joiners

Exclamation Biscuit Joiners

I was wondering if you guys still use a biscuit joiner, or are you all starting to work with pocket jigs? Also, do you have any recommendations? What would should I be looking for in a biscuit joiner?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Yes, I still have my old Lamello, and use it, um, rarely. BUT, it's been largely supplemented not by pocket screws but my Festool Domino for what I make in my little shop. As for what you should buy,research the tools you're thinking about and review how accurate the plunge assembly or the fence is. A fence or plunge assembly that doesn't flex on any jointer is a plus. Decent dust collection for all those chips that come flying out of the saw eject side is also a big plus, even if this means you need to hook a small vacuum hose up to the tool. My Lamello was too early to have DC in mind, so I had to cobble a side hood for it, otherwise you're bathing in lots of sawdust/chips. Almost all the later machines probably have this covered now.
    You can pay lots, or not alot for a biscuit joiner, stick with low to medium cost if you're just starting out. It's hard to recommend a new Lamello if you're not sure how much you'll use it, but they are sweet machines.
    Alot of good biscuit joining work is in the technique of using one, good practices and some simple jigs carry you a long way no matter which tool you end up with.
    Last edited by Callan Campbell; 07-07-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: grammar

As mentioned pocket holes aren't really a biscuit replacement. You have loose tenons (like the Domino), dowels and biscuits along with traditional mortise and tenons. Some do particular jobs better than others. As for biscuit joiners Lamello joiners are the best I have seen, but more down to earth in price is the Porter-Cable. I couldn't see buying a Lamello today since I prefer the Domino and feel it can do a lot more things, but it is also quite pricy at ~$800.

I like my P-C 557 quite well.

From my understanding, the Lamello IS a chunk better, but ... it's TWO chunks more $

I have the DeWalt 682k. Only thing I can personally compare it to is the biscuit-kit for craftsmen routers... tried it once after I bought on scrap, but it back in the box, and haven't opened it again since!

I use my 682 for making panels, and that's it. I use other methods for joinery, such as pocket holes, mortise & tenon, lap joints, etc depending on what I'm doing...

I like my little dewalt quite well, I don't use it as much as I used to but I use it for building plywood carcasses most of the time.

I still have my PC 557 but it gathers dust since getting a Domino.

I also use a Kreg K3 pocket hole jig.

As was mentioned above, the Lamello is the Cadillac of biscuit joiners. I never had one, but of the ones I've owned or used the PC 557 is the one I prefer.

I have the little Ryobi biscuit joiner, and like it a lot. Mostly use it for mitered frames and face frames. Nothing that is going to take a lot of stress. Pocket holes are pretty much limited to outdoor projects for me. Not sure why, I just am not real fond of them. They don't seem all that strong to me.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

My DeWalt has served me well. Sure helps with alignment on tabletops.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

doug - up 'till now, I have done lots of panels with a 5/32 slot cutting router bit and biscuits. Didn't even worry about how large I made the slots, just as long as they were larger than the biscuits... just bought a dewalt 682 and am waiting on delivery because the router can be a bit dusty... I am hoping the plate joiner will help with dust collection.

so far, I really like the biscuits for panels. also use them for face frames. I think most woodworkers will confirm that they technically aren't necessary for sufficient strength or alignment. I sense they must add some strenght, but it may be over and above what is normally needed... how strong does a face frame need to be after all? I plan to keep using them.

just saw a thread earlier this week that was filled with people panning the concept of bicuits... that surprised me.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=biscuit

seems like some complaints were that the two slots are not aligned... thus forcing the panel components out of line. I have not seen that happen in the past. I will look out for it as I start using the dewalt.

You want to be sure that the fence is good. All metal, no backlash in the adjusters.

I have a Ferm (Dutch brand, don't know if they cross the Atlantic) It cost the same as a Skil but has a vastly superior fence. I have no problems with alignment.

I used both in my last project. Biscuit joints need clamping. Pocket hole joints are sometimes tricky to align. The use of both biscuits and pocket hole screws eliminates both drawbacks.

If you're going to buy one, make sure the fence remains parallel to the cutter when you adjust it.

The one I had wouldn't stay parallel after adjusting it up or down. I thought it was a real pain to align it each and every time moved it. That problem is why I sold mine. I did that years ago and still have not replaced it with anything else.

Anyway, I'm sure other models/manufacturers don't have that problem and my experience may not be the same as everyone else's. It's just something to be aware of.

Were I to want a device like it again, I'd look at the Domino.

Blog Entries
    I know many people are happy with thiers and I'm no different. I don't use it much, mostly for larger glue ups, but my Makita hasn't let me down. It has a substantial metal fence that adjusts easy and locks down well. I also like that the chute never clogs, the chips really fly out of there. It doesn't have allot of whistles and bells and based on what I read, I'm beginning to think thats an asset.