Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY air filtration unit for <$200

1. After seeing your blower, I think I'm going to sell mine and get one of those, this one is good but may as well get full power !

Hi Dan,

Nice idea on the air scrubber, I'm going to have to plagiarize and see what works out =)

As I'm still setting up things here...
    Could you tell me WHERE the sound on the HF DC is coming from the most? The motor? the blades? intake shroud? exhaust shroud?

The reason I ask is that I'm actually thinking of combing both the air scrubber and a sound proof enclosure into a single unit with the DC motor sticking out if it's not the main noise source.

Since HF doesn't list the dBa nor the Static Pressure, I have no idea how much benefit I'll gain from using the speed control to reduce it down.

I'd much rather spend money on equipment as a substantial savings to electrical power and noise pollution.

The 6" inline fans from the hydroponics stores are 450CFM (@ 0" SP), 50 dBa, less than an 1 amp, but only have like 1" SP @ 250 CFM

http://atmosphere.com/english/html/p...tx/vtx600.html

I'm still searching for that happy medium between the two.

In case I missed it...
    What activated charcoal did you get and where from?
    Links are always appreciated =)

Did you notice the power requirements of the DC you're looking at?
    9A @ 220V or roughly 18A @110VAC

Blog Entries
    The majority of noise usually comes from the impeller, as that's what is chopping the air. The sound form it escape mostly through the exit pipe, so that's what you want to muffle if you only get to choose one thing. That said, you'll get a much larger reduction in noise by soundproofing the entire DC. According to the manual, the HF 1HP unit is rated at 107-112dB @ 3 feet. It is not a quiet machine by any stretch of the imagination. I only used the speed control to dial down the noise level, and it helps significantly, even at 90%. The HF unit is listed at 914 CFM (most likely at 0" SP), and I'm sure it drops off pretty quickly. Your units lists half that at twice the intake area... that would concern me greatly. I don't think that hydroponics unit is going to do much for you other than offer a gentle breeze in the cabinet, and I doubt it would offer any vacuum capability to speak of.

I'm running it on a dedicated 20A circuit (well, the circuit does run a couple of shop lights), so I should be okay with the new unit.

Info on the carbon can be found around page 2...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Walters View Post
    Hi Dan,

Nice idea on the air scrubber, I'm going to have to plagiarize and see what works out =)

As I'm still setting up things here...
    Could you tell me WHERE the sound on the HF DC is coming from the most? The motor? the blades? intake shroud? exhaust shroud?

The reason I ask is that I'm actually thinking of combing both the air scrubber and a sound proof enclosure into a single unit with the DC motor sticking out if it's not the main noise source.

Since HF doesn't list the dBa nor the Static Pressure, I have no idea how much benefit I'll gain from using the speed control to reduce it down.

I'd much rather spend money on equipment as a substantial savings to electrical power and noise pollution.

The 6" inline fans from the hydroponics stores are 450CFM (@ 0" SP), 50 dBa, less than an 1 amp, but only have like 1" SP @ 250 CFM

http://atmosphere.com/english/html/p...tx/vtx600.html

I'm still searching for that happy medium between the two.

In case I missed it...
    What activated charcoal did you get and where from?
    Links are always appreciated =)

Did you notice the power requirements of the DC you're looking at?
    9A @ 220V or roughly 18A @110VAC
    these fans have a lower max static pressure (around 2.5" wc), and don't work nearly as well as the dust collector blowers, they are more sensitive to duct size than the DC blowers which are more a brute force fan and typically have a max sp 6" wc or higher. They are more suited for short runs around 6 feet, and suffer greatly when combined with flexible duct.
    Last edited by Joe De Medeiros; 08-13-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Joe De Medeiros View Post
    these fans are more suited for short runs around 6 feet, and suffer greatly when combined with flexible duct.
    Hi Joe,

Yeah, I'm aware of the much lower SP, I've been reading datasheets like crazy.

I guess I'm just trying to find a happy medium between an inline fan and a DC, especially since I won't be collecting chips (gawd I hope not =).

I'd much rather spend the money on equipment, than to just waste it on electricity and ear plugs.

If a DC draws 8Amps, and a inline fan draws less than 1Amp, with enough research I'm sure there's an alternative out there drawing 4-5Amps and less than 50dBa.

Since I have your attention and you mentioned you used to design HVAC systems:

For my own curiosity of "Air flow 101"...

If I went from 4" duct to *TWO* of those 6" inline fans (at 2" SP@ 250CFM each), what would I get as the result of them in SERIES?
    I understand it's not linear, but what it is I don't know.

[Laser 4" duct] --> [6ft of 4" flex duct] --> [4" to 6" adapter on 1st inline fan] --> [2nd Inline fan] -->[25ft of 6" flex duct]

I don't plan on using this setup, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of the technical aspects.

Robert, if you make the 4" section smaller say 12" the loss in this section is .14"wc, and make the other section 25ft @ 6" the loss will be .762" that's .777"wc total loss, from the fan chart that's 297cfm (one fan), now Dan's filter will add another restriction, I'm not sure how much, but if you were to add a 2nd fan on the outlet side, it will act as a booster, both fans have to be the same or you will get a fan in-balance. Your other alternative is to go with an 8" fan (vtx800 747cfm) and 8" duct (smooth wall), it will give you about (.66"wc loss) 540cfm less whatever Dan's filter takes away. The vortex fan sound like a jet engine, I have 10" ones I use when I'm welding, I'm not sure how many DB's they are.

The 2 fan solution will work as long as they are far enough apart to not conflict with each other, it will give you close to the rated CFM as one fan.

[Laser 4" duct] --> [12" of 4" flex duct] --> [4" to 6" adapter on 1st inline fan] -->[25ft of 6" flex duct] -->[Dan's filter]--> [2nd Inline fan] this works by dividing the loss between both fans.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Joe De Medeiros; 08-13-2010 at 8:44 PM.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Joe,

Thanks for the info, I'll have to let it absorb a bit =)

Dan,

Do you think that 50 lbs of activated charcoal would fit inside a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with the lid attached?

Blog Entries
    I would say 30-35 pounds of it would fit without a problem... more like 1.5 buckets for the full 50 pounds.

9. I'm having great difficulty locating 50#'s of activated charcoal, can you specify where to get it from ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Maxwell View Post
    I'm having great difficulty locating 50#'s of activated charcoal, can you specify where to get it from ?

Thanks

http://www.generalcarbon.com/vapor02.htm

(I had the page open already =)

Blog Entries
    I'm having great difficulty locating 50#'s of activated charcoal, can you specify where to get it from ?

Thanks
    All pertinent info has been posted in this thread (wish I could edit the original post).

Thanks
    Have you tried local hydroponics stores, they seem to carry it for air scrubbers, but I live in the pot capital of Canada it seems (largest pot bust in Canadian history)
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

13. so far only one out of like 20 hydroponics stores i called carry a 16# bag of activated charcoal and they want $85.00 for it !

I will keep searching..........

Kasey,

http://www.generalcarbon.com/vapor02.htm
    $95.70 for a 55 pound bag + roughly $60 for shipping to California.
    as of when I called them today.

Even with shipping, still MUCH cheaper that I can find it locally.
    One local aquarium store quoted me ~$500 for 50 lbs.

If you don't need 55lbs, maybe you can find someone locally to split with.

Looky what I found....
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...tor-97762.html

It has the CFM, not sure on the SP. Wonder if it'll work.