Thread: Alumamark users---

Alumamark users---

I have a couple of pieces of something similar to Alumamark, but I think it's a different brand. I've had them for at least 6-8 years...

I won't use them because they look cheesy to me. Simply put, they look like so-so imitations of aluminum and brass. Rowmark's & New Hermes's brass & aluminum laminates look MUCH more like the real thing than this stuff does...

I have an upcoming job where Alumamark would really come in handy, IF it actually looks something like the real thing.

Those who use it, or have at least seen the stuff--- does it?

Colors that may work are satin brass, mirror brass and satin silver...

Thanks in advance!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Is Acriglas Metallics by Acrilex any good? Not to hijack the thread, but curious how this product compares to Alumamark. It appears to be a tad pricier than Alumamark.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Sublimation is 100 x better IMHO..... I have never gotten a quality imprint via laser with Alumamark or LazerBlack or Ultra Laser Alum....
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Sublimation is 100 x better IMHO..... I have never gotten a quality imprint via laser with Alumamark or LazerBlack or Ultra Laser Alum....
    I've used LazerBlack from JDS for years now. It's not a primary material I use, but I use it when the job requires. It marks fine and actually holds up well outside. I'm curious as to what issues you had. I mark it with just a little more power than "painted" aluminum/steel.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

We use a lot of alumnamark and have had great results. If you can, avoid silver it tends to be the only one that needs a little extra attention. If your settings or focus are off it will appear grey and not jet black.
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

I avoid using Alumamark as it is a bit finicky and will not hold up in outdoor applications. It seems to me that JDS came up with their own variety a few years back but I generally use laser sublimation instead.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks all for the feedback--

From the replies, it seems like the stuff likely hasn't changed much... I asked about this after a phone call (end customer looking for cheaper options) before I saw a sample photo of what was done before, which it turns out was mirror-polished steel, tool engraved, paint filled, and all clearcoated, very nice looking plate, with obviously a lot of time and labor involved.

Alumamark isn't even in the ballpark as a reasonable substitute. And the original was made in Mexico, so no matter what I come up with, I doubt 'cheaper' is going to happen...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Good candidate for Cermark?
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Kevin

Horizons is also the source of the Metalphoto process which is outstanding. You might look for a shop in your area that does it. It's also pricey but really high quality. http://metalphoto.com/
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I used to use a lot of Alumamark a lot, now I've been sublimating instead whenever I can.
    Sublimated metal is much more consistent.
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Kevin

Horizons is also the source of the Metalphoto process which is outstanding. You might look for a shop in your area that does it. It's also pricey but really high quality. http://metalphoto.com/
    Hi Mike,

Is the Metalphoto the same than Durablack ?
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

No, it's a completely different process. I believe the link will explain it and show how it's done.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7