Thread: Simple Carving to a Rocker

Simple Carving to a Rocker

Guys,I am in the process of building a Maloof rocking chair and would like to add my personnal touch of a simple carving.Where the arm ties into the rear leg is a transition point of about 2" in dia.I practice on one of Mike Hendersons flower and did another that is a simple pin wheel(not sure of the name)What is the second carving called so I can try to look up a tutorial since mine lacks some definition.(No laughting)Thanks from beginner carver----Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carroll, IMHO the flower would look great in that spot. The petals flow into the curves and blend together. The pin wheel, on the other hand, seems too geometric and static and would distract from the final design. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Simple Flower Carving (Pics added)

Took Rogers advice and went w/Mike H's flower carving that he has on his web site,Roger your right.The flower looks alot better than the geometric figure.Wish my flower came out as crisp as Mikes,but this is only my 3rd simple carving so I'll go w/it.I don't know if you can see it but I push the gouge alittle to deep around the outside circle so on the next arm I'll watch out for that.Mike,thanks for helping out and guys thanks for looking---Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks good to me - good job!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Big thumbs up. Waiting for more.