Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do rasps have only one handle?

You could use some masking tape around the tip of the rasp until you get used to using it as others have described. Trust me, you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon van der Linden View Post
    Good tip on removing the tang. I have to admit that I just use my fingertips to hold it and I have a light touch, so it's not a problem for me. Still I wouldn't recommend using it without a handle to others since it's highly user dependent safety wise. Your tip does remove the danger, but good files and rasps are kinda pricey to do that unless it's for a dedicated purpose.
    Most of my larger rasps have handles on them but I don't ever actually use the handle. It's just there to keep me from stabbing myself and as a convenient place to hang it from on the peg board. I'm definately a fingertip/light touch guy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cefai View Post
    You could use some masking tape around the tip of the rasp until you get used to using it as others have described. Trust me, you will.
    Personally I would never tape a rasp or file, you risk gunking up the teeth in a semi permanent way. If you need tape, that's what fingers are for.

You can see Karl Holtey using tape this way on his blog in post #41 here: http://www.holteyplanes.com/blog/
    Although he isn't using a file in this photo, there are older posts that show him taping his fingers for filing operations.

I use the Dragon rasps also. There are times when I use them one handed, times when I use them two handed. Roughing up yr fingertips is just par for the course. The only time I use 2 hands is when I'm really trying to finesse something; in these cases yr not pushing hard, so it's not painful.

If you need force, you should be concentrating on getting a good handle that lets you get some force and leverage behind the tool - not on the nose.