Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do rasps have only one handle?

Who do rasps have only one handle?

I have a question about rasps. I find that when I use a rasp often time I am gripping the "business" end with my left hand while pushing with my right. However, this isn't terrible comfortable and has resulted in a few bloody left fingers. The rasps I am using are the Nicholson 49 and 50, so not an Auria but also not the bottom of the heap. Why have I never seen a two-handled rasp? Am I using it incorrectly?

Blog Entries
    To attach a permanent handle would severely limit the versatility of the tool. I just wear a glove on that hand. These are commercially available from Lee Valley.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I find that when I use a rasp often time I am gripping the "business" end with my left hand while pushing with my right. However, this isn't terrible comfortable and has resulted in a few bloody left fingers. .... Am I using it incorrectly?
    No, you aren't. Smart of you to ask that question.

These tools operate best with a light touch and keeping in mind that they function a bit like hand saws. Down pressure is really not needed when the tools are sharp. Most folks pinch the far between thumb and middle knuckle.

Adam

Are these "new" Nicholsons? The new ones are really bad, bad enough that Tools For Working Wood stopped carrying them because of too many returns.

I use rasps and files a lot, and have never had much of a problem, and yes, I do almost always use both hands when using them. Single handed rasping is something I almost never do. I'll second what Adam said about using a light touch. I either use a light pressure with my fingers or hold it between thumb and index finger. The pressure is very light and for guiding only. Power etc. comes from the other hand.

Using something like the 2nd handle would just get in the way and throw off the balance and control of the tool. Same issue with the glove, plus I only use my gloves while moving equipment or some specific things with metal - cross contaminating wood with grease or filings would be bad. If you really need protection, I'd use tape. You can see Karl Holtey taping up his fingers for filing his planes on his blog, but I think most of us will be hard pressed to do nearly as much rasping or filing as he does.

another vote for a lighter touch. I usually keep the first two fingers of my left hand on the tip of the rasp just to add slight pressure and help guide it. drawing blood means too much muscle.

Ok, thanks. I like the idea of the knob from lee valley. I might have to look at re-purposing one of the dozen or so old plane knobs I have rolling around in a drawer. I'll also order a nice rasp--like an auria--and see if that makes work easier. Yes, they are new Nicholson rasps--as in they have been purchased in the past two or three years.

that lee valley part looks nice but won't it damage the teeth where you put it, even if it is brass?

[QUOTE=Jon van der Linden;1460264]Are these "new" Nicholsons? The new ones are really bad, bad enough that Tools For Working Wood stopped carrying them because of too many returns."

Any suggestion on decent new "affordable" rasps? Let's define affordable as under $60.

Blog Entries
    I had to return two #50's to get a decent one. Folks have spoken highly of Dragon rasps and I wish I would have tried that. The #50 I have (finally) is fine but the wasted time and effort made it quite expensive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

[QUOTE=Mark Wyatt;1460479]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon van der Linden View Post
    Are these "new" Nicholsons? The new ones are really bad, bad enough that Tools For Working Wood stopped carrying them because of too many returns."

Any suggestion on decent new "affordable" rasps? Let's define affordable as under $60.
    I have a Gramercy Saw Handle Maker's rasp, that was reasonable in price, and really is super super sharp!!! I will definitely be ordering some other Gramercy rasps. The thing was sharp enough when using it on Wenge, I had no problems using it one handed. Cut like the wenge was butter

To get back to the original question, there is only one handle so you can use the tip of the rasp to get into corners.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    To get back to the original question, there is only one handle so you can use the tip of the rasp to get into corners.
    Mike
    You can run into the same problem when working on curved pieces where the curve is relatively flat or even concave - yes, there are special rasps for that. A second handle would make that kind of work impossible. In some cases even one handle is too much to get the rasp or file to work. I wouldn't recommend using a rasp or file without a handle though, since it's well known that you can impale your hand on the tang.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I had to return two #50's to get a decent one. Folks have spoken highly of Dragon rasps and I wish I would have tried that. The #50 I have (finally) is fine but the wasted time and effort made it quite expensive.
    I have a couple of Dragon rasps. They are fantastic, BUT they're an odd shape for furniture/cabinet making. They're incredible for shaping. I use them for shaping guitar necks. That's what they were designed for, I believe, and they work very well for that.

My other favorites are the Iwasaki...uhm...I'm not even sure what you're call them. Files? Floats? They're amazing but you need to develop a deft touch to get maximum performance. Not difficult at all but if you dial in your touch just right, you'll be rewarded with performance that I really can't compare to anything else I've used. It was quite a unique experience for me, and I own quite a few of them now.

I'm with everyone else who says that the new Nicholson rasps are just a waste of money. There files are still working for me, though

re: original question
    If you need a second handle, you're pushing way too hard in my opinion. With a quality, sharp rasp, just the weight of the rasp is practically enough to cut aggressively, and the second hand is really only needed for light guidance. I've been known to rasp for hours on end with no problems at all, but with a very light touch. Sometimes I don't even grip it. I just lightly lay my hand on it, or maybe a couple of fingers, to guide it through the stroke.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-05-2010 at 8:44 PM.

I haven't felt the need to do it with my woodworking rasps/files, but when I was a plumber I often kept a bastard file in my back pocket. I cut the tang off on the chop saw, smoothed the edges, and smoothed off the teeth on the end.

I don't see why you couldn't do that. You wouldn't even need an abrasive wheel to take the teeth off the end.

Good tip on removing the tang. I have to admit that I just use my fingertips to hold it and I have a light touch, so it's not a problem for me. Still I wouldn't recommend using it without a handle to others since it's highly user dependent safety wise. Your tip does remove the danger, but good files and rasps are kinda pricey to do that unless it's for a dedicated purpose.