Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel City Toolworks New Products

Steel City Toolworks New Products

Back from being allegedly dead, Steel City Tool Works took a full page ad on the rear cover of of this month's Wood Magazine announcing a new cabinet saw with a one piece full size top (no wings) and guaranteeing it to be the flattest in the industry. It is available in cast iron or granite. They invited people to see them at the Atlanta Woodworking Show in August

Their website has yet to be updated.

Got mine today as well.... interesting.

Would you buy a (relatively) expensive tool from a company that might not be here next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    Would you buy a (relatively) expensive tool from a company that might not be here next year?
    This statement could apply to many established manufactures in many industries in our current economy. I wish them well.

Steel City Tool Works is the "visible" brand to us consumers. They own Orion MFG. which is a major private brand manufacturer and supplier of table saws, jointers, and other tools to Home Depot and Sears. I own the Sears "zipcode" saw made by Orion and the design and quality has been widely applauded for its price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Carr View Post
    This statement could apply to many established manufactures in many industries in our current economy. I wish them well.
    I agree with Greg. For years, people were willing to pay a premium for Delta & Powermatic because in twenty years they'd still be able to get parts for that machine. Today? I wouldn't bet on it.

Reality is that if you buy a Steel City, Delta or Powermatic, your buying a saw that was painted a certain color in Taiwan or China.

The company that is closest to be an actual manufacturer is probably Steel City, as its owned by Lee Kai Cheng (spellling ? ) .. who is actually a manufacturer in Asia.

I get a kick out of these distributors being called " Manufacturers" .. they are for the most part " Distributors " of imported machinery... They buy from Manufacturers, no different than we might have 25 years ago.

I was fiddling with Google maps and got pictures of the real "domestic manufacturers" left in North America..

Here is Northfield ..

Here is General

This is what's left of mainstream manufacturing in North America..

Rick Fisher nailed it in his post...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

They're also offering 'the only' helical head lunchbox planer in the sub $600 range.

The cast iron version looks more like a hybrid.

Sawstop, SteelCity and Grizzly are all making their pro level tools a little more budget friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    They're also offering 'the only' helical head lunchbox planer in the sub $600 range.

The cast iron version looks more like a hybrid.
    I bought one of these a few months ago and I am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Reality is that if you buy a Steel City, Delta or Powermatic, your buying a saw that was painted a certain color in Taiwan or China.

Grizzly might be the only honest one of the bunch. They call themselves;

Purveyors of Fine Machinery

Precisely! That's why I limit my investment activities to major, long-standing financial institutions. Like Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, AIG, Countrywide, Washington Mutual....

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Precisely! That's why I limit my investment activities to major, long-standing financial institutions. Like Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, AIG, Countrywide, Washington Mutual....

So I guess you'll be selling off your tools to put food on the table.

This is what's left of mainstream manufacturing in North America..
    Rick, there's probably a few folks who make the new Uni in Jackson, TN and Wapauca, WI (castings) that might disagree with you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Cutter are few in number and HSS, not carbide. Just an FYI.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler