Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wooden iphone case?

wooden iphone case?

No, I haven't made one...yet.

I'm just wondering if any of you have tried. Otherwise, I'll have to get started making mistakes and screwing up some wood! It's not for commercial use, just as a fun project.

I'm thinking of other cool concepts for the iPhone--suggestions? Maybe marquetry, steam punk approach, etc?
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

Marc,

I think you might have better luck working with something like a silicone net concept. My only complaint with the iPhone is it does not have a way to hang it off your belt loop unless you put a cover on it. To me, that defeats the allure of the thing being sleek. It's also slippery. So if you made a silicone (not slippery) cover which is not a cover, but decorative, it might appeal to people especially if it provides a place to hook a carabiner or phone charm. Lots of women like to have something hanging on their phones which makes it easy to grab out of a bag quickly.

You might even be able to use one of the pre-made silicone skins and cut away to make the design.

Just one idea, cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

there are bamboo ones I've seen with custom laser engraving.

http://www.grovemade.com/collections/artist
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

That's really cool, the bamboo - looks pretty thin too. But there is still the $70 price for a blank one for people to play with. Yikes!

I'm still of the mind that people who have iPhones want them to be seen as thin and sleek. Just my opinion.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Those are pretty sharp though... nice engraving job.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Dee, Maybe I am one of the unusual people as I have a hard plastic case surrounded by a rubber case for my IPhone. I wanted this as I not a desk jockey and am in the shop and making calls to customers on the street. Not to mention loading product in and out of the truck.

Can't count the number of times that I have dropped it onto concrete and one time it fell into a mud pile.

I prefer a strong case. I have it not for sleekness but for what it can do with all of the apps.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

Wow that's nice work on the casing. Expensive maybe, but it must have taken a fair amount of work to create it, so it does justify the amount. Although I have to admit, some of those designs would make me vomit!
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 07-05-2010 at 7:02 AM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I saw a company offering these in like 3 kinds of wood and bamboo. I thought it would be pretty cool to engrave them, so I sent and inquiry about a sample order. I think the price was more like $25 per.

I saw a company offering these in like 3 kinds of wood and bamboo. I thought it would be pretty cool to engrave them, so I sent and inquiry about a sample order. I think the price was more like $25 per.
    And the company is??
    Joe Hayes
    CRS

Epilog Legend EXT 75 Watt, Epilog Legend 70 Watt,
    Xenetech 16x25 Rotary, Vinyl cutters, ect.

Thumbs up Why a case?

Due to the timing of getting my laser and the availability of domain names I seem to have made engraving iPads the specialty of my business. The aluminum etches well and it's a hit give-away for corporations (wow, nobody ever gave me a $500 gadget!).

The Black iPhones engrave very well as under that shiny black is light colored plastic. The white ones the same, but the same light colored plastic leaves less contrast. The new iPhone4 is actually glass... alumino-silicate 'helicopter windshield' glass, but it engraved the same as any other glass I've done.

That said, I'm looking for engravable iPad cases myself... some of the leather ones are gorgeous, but $$$. The not-real-leather ones are scary because they could be PVC. Has anyone figured out how to get an MSDS for retail items like that? I'm used to having them for chemical products, but retail seems like you'd have to track down the manufacturer.

Sara
    40W Epilog Mini24

Sara

Welcome to SMC. Very nice work and good info.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Try the "burnination" test for PVC content.
    http://vimeo.com/1615418?pg=embed&sec=1615418

Sara,

Very nice work! As Jim said, many of us work in an environment that is not phone friendly and a case is essential.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 07-07-2010 at 9:40 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Gould View Post
    Due to the timing of getting my laser and the availability of domain names I seem to have made engraving iPads the specialty of my business. The aluminum etches well and it's a hit give-away for corporations (wow, nobody ever gave me a $500 gadget!).

The Black iPhones engrave very well as under that shiny black is light colored plastic. The white ones the same, but the same light colored plastic leaves less contrast. The new iPhone4 is actually glass... alumino-silicate 'helicopter windshield' glass, but it engraved the same as any other glass I've done.

That said, I'm looking for engravable iPad cases myself... some of the leather ones are gorgeous, but $$$. The not-real-leather ones are scary because they could be PVC. Has anyone figured out how to get an MSDS for retail items like that? I'm used to having them for chemical products, but retail seems like you'd have to track down the manufacturer.

Sara
    40W Epilog Mini24
    There has been talk of apple not honoring the warranty on iPhones and iPads that have custom laser engraving. anyone know if this is true, I did a search, but came up empty.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016