Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone found any useful shop accessories lately

Does money count as a "shop accessory"?

Or, is it a "shop necessity"?

Increased and decreased my productivity:

skullandswords.jpg

Rockler has Bench Cookies for $7.99 & free shipping.
    They've already been mentioned though.
    I just picked up some this past Summer & the dumb things work great.

Harbor Freight - the 6 1/4" magnetic welding holders.
    Harbor Freight - 18" telescoping magnetic pickup rod. Quite possibly the best $3.00 I've spent in the last few decades.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-01-2011 at 7:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Rockler has Bench Cookies for $7.99 & free shipping.
    They've already been mentioned though.
    I just picked up some this past Summer & the dumb things work great.

Harbor Freight - the 6 1/4" magnetic welding holders.
    Harbor Freight - 18" telescoping magnetic pickup rod. Quite possibly the best $3.00 I've spent in the last few decades.

I use that pick-up rod almost every time I'm n the shop. I obviously thought the welding holders would be a good idea for something since I have a pair of them hanging on my pegboard, but i can't recall what I was thinking of using them for <g>. What do you use yours for?

I bought the JDS Automated blast gate system a few years ago and I just love it. Just open the blast gate on the tool I'm using and on comes the DC. Take some installation time but I just love it.... did I mention I just love it?!!

Jerome,
    I keep them stuck to the side of the table saw. I also keep a shop vac hose attached to the outlet on the bottom of the saw (it's a Ridgid TS3660). Whenever I unhook the hose, I stick the magnets on top in a V ans stick the hose in there to hold it in place.
    I also use one for holding the screw that goes in the insert and the flange washer when I'm changing blades.
    Whenever I'mscrewing something together, I stick abunch of screws on one to hold them.
    I'm sure they'll be more things down the road.

Cast iron and magnets = can't beat em.

Another vote for Rockler's Bench Cookies. I use the heck out of mine! Rockler T track kits, the ones with the knobs and bolts are a good value, and priceless when putting jigs, router tables, drill press tables and such together...

I've got one of those magnetic dish thingies that holds screws without them going everywhere. Love that thing...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Ellington at Work.jpg

My most useful accessory, Ellington the Shop Cat.

He went missing in September, last week we had a phone call from Toronto Animal Services that they had Ellington at the shelter.

He was 3 pounds lighter, and had a large shaved area with a weeping puncture wound.

A lady found him, took him to a vet's, who treated him for free and sent him to the animal shelter.

His identification chip allowed them to find us.

He's on anti-biotics and recovering well, it's nice to have the shop cat back, he was missed.

regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Ellington at Work.jpg

My most useful accessory, Ellington the Shop Cat.

He went missing in September, last week we had a phone call from Toronto Animal Services that they had Ellington at the shelter.

He was 3 pounds lighter, and had a large shaved area with a weeping puncture wound.

A lady found him, took him to a vet's, who treated him for free and sent him to the animal shelter.

His identification chip allowed them to find us.

He's on anti-biotics and recovering well, it's nice to have the shop cat back, he was missed.

regards, Rod.

Glad you got your cat back Rod. Imagine he's happy to be home.

PHM

Isn't it great that someone would take the time to take him to a vet, rather than just keep going?

Well done.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

11. Woodpeckers One Time Run Saddle T Square combined with a mechanical pencil that uses 0.7mm lead. Even though you can't order them online anymore, I found that if you call or email, they still have some left in some of the sizes and are happy to sell them to you - I got the 4" version.

Also, a couple of Bench Dog's Ultra Push-Blocs to replace my "standard" push blocks for the jointer, tablesaw, etc. The Ultras use the same gripping material that's on the Bench Cookies, so they work really, really, really well!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    There are two things I wish I had bought 10 years before I actually bought them:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42936,50298

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-1202F.../dp/B001LF3CG2

In the interest of full disclosure - I started out with a cheaper set of calipers. Got a deal on the Starrett from a Creeker. Like them much better
    Kent,

Does it say where these starretts are made? For the price it sure doesn't seem like they'd be US made. If they are, I'll have 2 please.

Thanks, Mark

HF 20 oz gravity feed HVLP spray guns. I picked up first two for $9.99, paid $12.99 for last two. Currently I rehabing and building some steel hand rails. Spraying is so quick, it's almost criminal. Picked up the matching gun stands to hold guns. HF brad / 1/4" stapler for about $13. Works like a charm. Good Hand locking pipe clamps for $14.99 from ENCO. They hold rails in alignment for welding.

Glad you got your shop cat back. I'd be lost without my shop dog.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I've had one of these 4" marking squares now for maybe 8 years or so and find that most every day that I work in my shop I tend to use it.
    It has been one of my best small tool purchases. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...95&cat=1,42936
    John