Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erase Background in CorelDraw X4

Erase Background in CorelDraw X4

Hi guys,
    I am wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction with a problem I have.
    I need to erase the background from my laser files and make it transparent so that I can engrave them bigger than 9" in size.
    I am using the Solustan Linkmotion V2.56 software and the Leetro controller and apparently the software doesn't like "white" as the background and will chuck a fit if the job is too large and it faults to a VB-Script fault.
    I have asked Solustan for the answer but they don't seem to want to mail me anymore and Corel sent me a phone tech support number but I have had no luck contacting them :-(
    Can someone here offer some suggestions.
    I use Photograv for a lot of my pictures but I have problems with that also with the white background.
    Thanks in advance.
    Richard.

What might help is to crop the picture to just include the elements being engraved , trying to "cut out" the background is going to be a mission and is going to take a long time.
    If you use photograv and corel , what you can do is try to trace the PG output , its mainly black dots , however the trace file might also be too big and give you issues with the resolution. If you do trace , then fill the traces with black and then delete the trace outline to more or less get you back to what Photograv gives you without it being a raster file.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

When you say "white as the background" are you referring to vector files or bitmaps?

What I have done in Corel to eliminate the background on product images is to crop around them using the node tool. I have also made cropping masks to lay over the images and used the trim tool to eliminate everything I did not want.

To do this make a square larger than the image. Then make a shape, say a circle that should contain the image portion you want. Center the square and the circle. Choose the square first then the circle and trim the square. Then you will have a mask with a hole in it. Place this over your image and select the mask first and the image second and trim it. For easy editing of your mask make it transparent and then you can edit it as need to get the portion of the image you want.

I haven't found any other reliable way to get bitmaps into corel without the backgrounds. Once in a while I will have this dream that way back in Corel9 I was able to import transparent gifs and have them come in without the background. But since I can't do it now I think that that was some fantasy on my part.

White background

Hi Guys;
    Convert the image to a tiff with a transparent background.
    Not sure how to do this in Photopaint but easy in Photoshop

Convert to grayscale, double click Background to make a copy, use Magic wand to remove background, save as tif file with transparent background.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Kudos.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I was wondering weather to convert to a .tiff file or not. I think .png can have a transparent background too.
    I will try that and see where it gets me.
    I thought the only way to do this properly was to convert the white bitmap background to transparent inside the program but I couldn't find any way of doing this.
    I don't have Photoshop but my partner has Elements at her shop so I might give that a try as well.
    Thanks for the interest guys.
    :-)
    warm regards
    Richard.

Richard

If the image is a vector file you can ungroup it and delete the background.

If it is a bitmap you can use the shape tool to reduce the background as far as you like.

Or you can go to tutorials by Alex Galvez and see how he removes the background altogether.

There are a number of tutorials available here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtpo5TfrZo
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks.
    I have watched Alex's videos before and think they're great and even sent him a post a few months ago on this subject. Maybe he came through with my request.
    I just tried something.
    I loaded a .tiff file into Corel X4, process previously in PhotoGrav, of a nice steam train and then placed another .jpg of the same train behind the bitmap one and just off to the side to see if there is any transparency. I then, after a bit of blundering around, found out that if you select "no fill" in the properties tab on the side then the background white color is actually converted to transparent.
    Could it really be this simple???
    I will try the engraving out in a few days when I have some time in the shed.
    This will really get me back on track if it works as good as it seems to on the screen right now.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Rich.
    Below is a screen grab using MWsnap of the files before, after and also a closeup showing that it is indeed a transparent background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard McMahon; 06-22-2010 at 9:14 AM.

[QUOTE=Richard McMahon;1451515]Thanks.
    I then, after a bit of blundering around, found out that if you select "no fill" in the properties tab on the side then the background white color is actually converted to transparent.
    Could it really be this simple???
    QUOTE]

Amazing! after all these years and playing with this and then creating large TIFF file, it was as easy as that?!!!!

That was worth the admission alone. (opps I haven't paid admission yet, I guess this will be the time to buck up!. Keith, I'll get hold of you next week and get onboard.)

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Here's another great graphics link. There are many tutorials here including getting rid of the white box.

http://www.unleash.com/articles/whitebox/
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard McMahon View Post
    I need to erase the background from my laser files and make it transparent so that I can engrave them bigger than 9" in size.
    If the problem is not enough memory due to file size, changing the background color to transparent will not likely resolve the issue. The filespace taken up by the transparent background is the same as the white background, it has simply changed "color"... consider it like changing the white to green.

If your driver does not transmit the transparent pixels to the laser, then yes, it may resolve the issue due to a lower amount of data stored in the laser's memory... but unless compression is involved I don't see that as being the case.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks Mike, I have Foster's "Graphics Unleashed" DVD for Corel X3 but I couldn't find any reference to removing the background colour. It's worth buying the DVD if you haven't used Corel before as he has a pretty good teaching manner about him and you can get up to speed very quickly.

To Dan - : I have 4 Gig of memory on my 3.2 GigHz Pentium4 computer which should be ample for the table size I have. (50" x 32")

The nice people at Solustan sent me a mail a few months ago saying, among other things, that they " don't do white very well " and that Linkmotion doesn't process the transparent "colour" when printed. I hope this is the solution for me.
    I will have a look at some of the links today while at the little woman's shop and see what I can get into trouble with. :-)

Thanks for all the help, everyone. It's been a big boost for my knowledge bank.
    Last edited by Richard McMahon; 06-22-2010 at 6:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Richard,

I was talking about memory in the laser, not the computer. You don't mention what system you have in your signature, so I guessed it was one that contained memory on the motherboard and downloaded the entire file to the laser. If that's not the case, disregard my last response.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Hi Guys;
    Convert the image to a tiff with a transparent background.
    Not sure how to do this in Photopaint but easy in Photoshop

Convert to grayscale, double click Background to make a copy, use Magic wand to remove background, save as tif file with transparent background.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    And then you can bring this into coreldraw with a transparent background?

I have hundreds of images saved without backgrounds as tifs and gifs and I can't figure out how to import them without a background. I will die swearing that I did this once in 1998 :-)

If it's a raster file then I almost always have to use the node tool to trim the image so that the background is gone. I haven't tried this on my current laser to see what it accepts but on my ULS - if I remember right - it accepts the trimmed borders and engraves only the visible sections of the bitmap.

When I get to work later I will do a quick experiement to see how the laser handles a trimmed bitmap from CorelDraw vs a transparent background one.

Sorry Dan,
    I have a home built 30 watt laser with a ULS laser tube running gecko 201 drives and a home built rotary attachment utilizing a 5 phase harmonic drive.
    The Pentium computer controls the whole shebang.
    I must get my profile updated soon to save any unnecessary comments and people wasting their valuable time trying to imagine what sort of setup I have.
    My YouTube channel can be found here for a look at what I have.

http://www.youtube.com/user/baccus61

I think a few of you have already seen it before.
    Rich.
    Home built 30 watt laser gantry table running Solustan's Linkmotion software and Corel X4
    Home built 3m x 4m plasma table with CandCNC height controller and Sheetcam
    Home built 800mm x 800mm wood router running Mach3

Richard

That's awesome! Great work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7