Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first built-in

My first built-in

I made this for our family room. It is constructed with birch plywood and lumber. It is approx. 7' high x 6 1/2' W. It is the largest project I have made to date and I learned alot along the way. I apologize for my photography skills.

And it has a secret....

That is awesome! We are building a house and the master bedroom is right off of the main foyer and that would be a perfect entrance for it. Looks great Frederick.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Fred...I'm having a little trouble seeing how this works. Is this a second door to your bedroom and do you have to remove the shelves each time you enter the room? Would it not seem strange after several months to friends that there is nothing on the shelves....or am I missing the point??

Regardless it's a great pc of Furn.!!

Thanks
    JJ

Looks as if it either rolls or hinges out of the way, potentially both.. the hinge to control where it's going, and wheels to support the movement?

Looks great! What goodies are you planning on hiding back there?

Now that is just cool!

It looks like something that you would find in the "Winchester Mystery House".

Beautiful work even without the hidden door.

Excellent design!! Great work on the piece itself, but just a really neat idea.

That is way cool!!!!
    To the bat cave, Robin.

thats awesome. I like that.

Love it!....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

amazing... the whole base slides away too. can't tell at all from the first picture.

I would like to hear more about it and see more pics. I figure I can make something like that and hide from the wife and kids. now only have to find a way to muffle the TS noise.

Thank you all for your positive posts. Maybe I should explain a few things.

Our lower level had a weird little bump out in it (approx. 8' x 8') due to the floor plan above it. We had the builder wall it off and leave a rough opening until we figured out what to do with it.

The space will be used for storage and not accessed that regularly. The side shelves will have the usual dust collectors placed on them and the center will be used mainly for books and periodicals.

The swinging section is supported by 4 large hinges on the right and there are two casters on the bottom to spread the load and keep the hinges from binding/wearing.

I kept the base moulding approx. 3/8" from the actual base of the side cabinets to leave a small reveal between the moulding and the carpet. I installed the center base moulding after the center section was installed and trimmed it for a slightly larger gap than the side to prevent it from snagging the carpet.

Blog Entries
    That rocks. Turned out great and makes a great use of hidden space. Very cool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

thats cool! now you just have to hook up a motor to it and make it where you have to pull a specific book to activate it!

What a fun design. It's practical too. We can hide all those tool purchases from the family.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I'm actually trying to design something similar for my cousin's house. What did you do for a latch/release mechanism, and how big are your hinges?