Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing carving tools

Yes Staffan, you're correct I believe with your list. I might throw a # 5 in there as well then you'd have what I suggest as a basic set to do many carvings with. These will work for any number of projects , styles etc.that you might end up trying. I personally tend to stay with the narrower widths as they can accommodate smaller as well as larger carvings . You might have to make two passes with a narrower chisel,,but a large chisel won't go as many places as a narrower one.
    See your PM for an additional response.
    Mark
    The Woodworking Studio

2. Start with the Flexcut SK108 16-Piece Starter Carving Set

I suggest that you start out simply and economically with the Flexcut SK108 16-Piece Starter Carving Set. It can be purchased from Highland Woodworking (mail order) for about US$179.00 and gives you practically everything you will need to get started. Additionally most local Woodcraft stores nationwide also carry it as well

Longer term you will likely switch over to full sized tools, but initially you will have everything in one compact and manageable set of carving tools without having to spend too much too soon.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...arvingset.aspx

Goodluck
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James L. Smith View Post
    I suggest that you start out simply and economically with the Flexcut SK108 16-Piece Starter Carving Set. It can be purchased from Highland Woodworking (mail order) for about US$179.00 and gives you practically everything you will need to get started. Additionally most local Woodcraft stores nationwide also carry it as well

Longer term you will likely switch over to full sized tools, but initially you will have everything in one compact and manageable set of carving tools without having to spend too much too soon.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...arvingset.aspx

Goodluck
    Jim
    I realize that different people like different tools, but I wanted to offer my experience with FlexCut tools - I dislike them quite a bit. Before you order them through the Internet, I highly recommend you use them first. Either buy them with the understanding that you can return them if you don't like them, or try to borrow some from a friend before you buy.

You may find them to be perfect for your hand and usage, but people seem to fall into the "love 'em or hate 'em" camps. Make sure you know what camp you fall into before you put your money down.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+ 1 with Mike. I too am in the second camp as well.
    The Woodworking Studio

I just wanted to tell you that I've just ordered the tools. I picked the eight I had in the list, and also a 5/8 as Mark suggested.

Thanks for all replies

There you go! With this selection of tools you'll be able to do quite a bit of work. Excellent.
    The Woodworking Studio