Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What tool/machine do you want but just can't justify the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Palenski View Post
    To fix that drink another beer.
    Ok, I tried that.. hasn't worked yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    It is a full size bandsaw (like maybe that 17" Grizzly!). I have the bandsaw attachment for my Shopsmith, I use it to cut curves and stuff, but it really sucks at resawing, and the bearings (or something in there) squeels like crazy after about 5-10 minutes of running. I haven't been spending much time in the shop lately, and when I do, the bandsaw doesn't get much use. But, I have a spot reserved for it, and I find myself looking at them in every catalog and WW store I go into.
    Oh well, someday
    With that said, I have read some of these posts, and realize I already have much of what others are wishing for. Like the dedicated and spacious shop, lathe, good dust collection, etc. I am really thankful for what I do have! I can build just about anything I care to build with the tools I already have. (Hope SWMBO doesn't read this!)
    I'm sorry, Larry, but your bandsaw is crying out for some tender loving care. If you would change out those tracking bearings and do a good tuneup you would find that your Shopsmith bandsaw just hums.

As far as resawing, I suspect that some practice and maybe a resaw jig are in order.

Check out the forum at www dot shopsmith dot net / forums .
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 06-29-2010 at 7:50 AM. Reason: Remove direct link to forum per SMC TOS.

As I read down then list I felt kind of spoiled as I own a lot of the tools that others wished for. But one can always want more. Right now space is my biggest problem or I would love to have a lathe and the time to use it. A wide belt sander and spindle sander would be handy. A few more festools like a kapex miter saw and festool drill, a few more sanders and routers. I guess I could go on and on with wants but right now for some reason I want that festool kapex miter saw but just can't justify it, if my old dewalt died I think I would be more tempted to get it.

My wish list, 1) A W&H molding machine 2) A nice 15" planer. Alas, no room.

Thinking big, along with a full size CNC router. I'd like on of these, I'm sure with a little programing I could make it cut DTs too. Of course I'd need a larger building. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgI6Fzr6hNs
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

#1-Wish I had the rm for a panel saw,be nice to cut down full sheets of ply not having to lift them onto the table saw.
    #2-Blum hinge machine which was on the list,but due to CL's just to good to pass on----Carroll

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    I'm sorry, Larry, but your bandsaw is crying out for some tender loving care. If you would change out those tracking bearings and do a good tuneup you would find that your Shopsmith bandsaw just hums.

As far as resawing, I suspect that some practice and maybe a resaw jig are in order.

Check out the forum at www.shopsmith.net/forums .
    Richard,
    I am not a big fan of Shopsmith. The SS I have was my fathers from the 1970s. My opinion of Shopsmith tools is that they are under sized, under powered and over priced. With that said, I will probably try to give it a good tuneup and look into that resaw jig and some practice, because I don't see a new bandsaw in my future for quite some time, so I will just make due with what I have and be happy with it. However, this thread was for day dreaming and that was what I was doing.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-28-2010 at 5:59 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The thing I have found interesting about this thread is the dream list is thwarted as or more often by space rather than price tag.

The price of more space is higher than any tool I want.

If I had to choose one tool in the immediate future, I want a bigger DC -- a cyclone with a ridiculous horsepower rating. Like many others in this thread, I am not only limited by funds, but also by space.

Long term, I want either a nice SawStop or a Euro slider (again, there are space considerations).

On the other hand, what I would really like is a slush fund to spend indiscriminately on accessories that are just a little too expensive to justify: I need two more parallel jaw clamps, I just go get two more parallel jaw clamps. I need the better Porter-Cable edge guide, I just pick one up without looking at the price.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Hmmm. I can't think of anything that I couldn't justify owning. Whether it be tools, or toys, all it takes is some good quality self deception. The problem arises when it comes time to pay for it. Anything I buy tool related, the only justification I need is whether or not it will make money.

I really want a cnc lathe, but I think its pretty hard to make it pay for itself. They're just cool to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Anything I buy tool related, the only justification I need is whether or not it will make money.
    The beauty of being retired, and being a hobbyist, is not needing any justification at all.

More room...

Oscillating spindle sander, wide belt sander, bigger jointer. Dedicated assembly table. Spray booth.

1.) Norm standing there in the shop to say, "No, you idiot, do it this way."

2.) A DC/Cyclone/Metal ducts big enough to suck the clothes off Charlize Theron (or Jessica Alba -- fill in the blank and add beer).

3.) Separate jointer / planer instead of combined (space issue).

4.) Track saw.

Blog Entries
    i have a craftsman TS but would love to have a SawStop TS or the new Delta
    would also love a 17" Grizzly BS