Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beginner wood hunt in the quad cities area

beginner wood hunt in the quad cities area

Hi everybody! New guy on the block here. I've fired a couple of emails to Jeff N, but dont know another soul. I live in the desert (albuquerque, NM) and all decent wood I know of is not cheap.
    I will be in the quad cities area on July 17th (sat) weekend. I would love to buy a couple of nice chunks of wood at a fair rate. Not a lot because we're flying.
    If you are willing to assist, I'd be grateful for a really long time. I bought a mini lathe in the winter to turn a couple of pens..... and, well, you know how it goes. I think y'all use the term vortex.... yeppers, tis a deep rabbit hole for sure.
    Total respect to all here. I like the friendly environment, and supportive nature of your feedback. Im a therapist looking to retire in a few more yrs, but have done furniture and formica work in the past. The lathe is becoming a jealous mistress. Pls help.

Quad cities is Moline, Rock Island, Illinois / Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa.

If you can/will help PM me here.
    Big Thanks!
    Michael

Michael..........Welcome to the Creek!

As the signature of one our fellow Creekers says "Sawdust is better than Prozac!"

Again...Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Michael, Another big Welcome to the Creek! Hope someone in that area can fix you with some nice wood.
    Richard in Wimberley

You can ship pretty cheap in the flat rate postal boxes. Large one is 12 x12 x 5 1/2 inches, and costs about $14 to ship no matter how much it weighs.

robo hippy

Welcome, Michael!! Jeff has plenty of wood at fair prices, so I am sure you will be able to get some from him. Another source I use is Mike Smith at Century Tree Turnings. No affiliation with either, except for the money they now have that used to be mine!!

Michael,
    If you will send me a PM with an address I can ship you some "GREEN" wood just for the shipping cost.I have more wood than I know what to do with.Maybe I'll have something you can use.Walnut,Maple Mulberry,Cherry,Oak.,or I might come up with something else.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Hi everybody! New guy on the block here. I've fired a couple of emails to Jeff N, but dont know another soul. I live in the desert (albuquerque, NM) and all decent wood I know of is not cheap.
    I will be in the quad cities area on July 17th (sat) weekend. I would love to buy a couple of nice chunks of wood at a fair rate. Not a lot because we're flying.
    If you are willing to assist, I'd be grateful for a really long time. I bought a mini lathe in the winter to turn a couple of pens..... and, well, you know how it goes. I think y'all use the term vortex.... yeppers, tis a deep rabbit hole for sure.
    Total respect to all here. I like the friendly environment, and supportive nature of your feedback. Im a therapist looking to retire in a few more yrs, but have done furniture and formica work in the past. The lathe is becoming a jealous mistress. Pls help.

Big Thanks!
    Michael

Hi Michael
    I'm from the Quad Cities.
    I usually have to work most week ends. but am usualy avaiable in the evenings.
    I'd be Glad to help you gett a few nice pieces.
    Send me a private message here with your phone # and a good time to contact you. (evenings) and I'll call you.
    Joe Meirhaeghe

Welcome to the Creek, Michael. Can't think of anywhere a therapist is needed more
    Good Luck on your wood hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    Welcome to the Creek, Michael. Can't think of anywhere a therapist is needed more
    Good Luck on your wood hunt.
    Im touched by the greetings and responses. I think I've found a great place to hang out during downtime. And by the way, I work in the criminal justice system, so Im sorry, you folks do not qualify for the seriously disturbed "clientele" I deal with day in, day out.
    If anyone is feeling a little too neurotic and want some counseling, I will therapize for wood!

Since I live in the southwest, I'm emulating the pottery forms I've known all my life, but I am not a historian, just trying to turn what comes to mind. I will be sure to post a pic of wood received by "y'all"
    Thanks again,
    Michael

...And by the way, I work in the criminal justice system, so Im sorry, you folks do not qualify for the seriously disturbed "clientele" I deal with day in, day out....
    I'm seriously disturbed....but turning wood helps...so I'm not going to pay you with my medication.

Welcome to the abyss Michael.

I look at pottery m'self. It's a good idea-spurrer-onner sorta thing.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Welcome Michael. Don't mind John Hart. He has just been sniffing lacquer for tooooooooo long. Hic.....oops maybe I have to.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Welcome Michael. Don't mind John Hart. He has just been sniffing lacquer for tooooooooo long. Hic.....oops maybe I have to.

Careful Bernie....The addiction is very difficult to break....But then, who would want to?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

13. Quad cities wood turners

Big Thanks!
    Michael

Google “quad cities wood turners”. Local wood turning club located in Rock Island, Illinois. Should be a place to e-mail club members and i’m Sure someone would be glad to help you during your visit.

If you ever swing up north to Oregon, let me know, I have more wood than I can use...

robo hippy

This thread is nearly a decade old!!!!! MJ hasn’t been active on SMC in several years.

Left click my name for homepage link.