Thread: Picked up a used Shaper

Picked up a used Shaper

I recently bought this 10Hp, 3 phase reversable Felder Shaper from a one-local man cabinet shop via CL. Paid $3,800 which included just a 1 1/4 spindle (but nothing else).

1.jpg 3.jpg

Then I picked up a new 4 wheel power feeder (3 phase) that I just got hooked up yesterday. I had been looking for a used one but couldn't find what I wanted--so I bought new.

2.jpg

I also ordered a 3/4 spindle (on back order) and a router spindle. In the pic below you can see just how hugh these things are (pictured are the router spindle and the 1 1/4 spindle).

4.jpg

To run the shaper & power feeder I ended up going with American Rotary for a 20Hp idler--in the pic below you can see my temporary set-up. I need to get a sub-panel and a couple three phase breakers. Setting up the 3 phase has been easy--and the motor is quite.

5.jpg

So how did I, primarily a hand-tool user, end up with a 10 Hp Felder Shaper/Moulder? Well, I have intuitively know for the last year that a shaper would be a good fit for my stlye of woodworking--even though I had never used a shaper or powerfeeder. I really think I'll like this tool. So the bottom line is that I bought this shaper with the expectation that I'll find alot of uses for it; and this approach is no different than when I bought my tablesaw, lathe or bandsaw.

I was going to go with the Powermatic 2700 at a cost of $3K--but then figured for a bit more $$ I could get a used SCMI or something similar. So I began to look at used stuff and the Felder showed up. Of course it was advertised for more than what I could afford, but what with the economy in the pits and there not being a big market for 3 phase equipment, the seller accepted my offer.

And finally I need to get tooling. I will most likely go with some coping heads to do tenons, some corrigated heads so I can grind my own profiles, and some insert tollingfor raised panels and rail/stile. I'll probably go with Schmidt.

One other item I forgot to mention: my greatest fear with the sliding table is that it will get out of allignment and I won't be able to get it back into allignment correctly. For those with experience using/setting up sliders similar to mine--are my fears unfounded?
    Last edited by Doug Mason; 06-12-2010 at 12:38 AM.

WOW, nice addition. I recently purchased a Felder KF700SP shaper/saw combo with a 9 ft slider. The slider on yours likely only has four mounting bolts so alignment should be a breeze. The Felder service guys are super helpful on the phone.

This is my second shaper and most of my old shaper cutters where inexpensive Tawanese stuff with 3/4" bore. I ordered my machine with the 1 1/4" and router spindles to kind of force myself to get better cutters. I ended up buying Garniga insert tooling cutters for the cabinet door set and raised panel cutters. I've also pick up a half dozen or so Leitz cutters off ebay for between $40-100 each. I also bought an LRH Magic Shaper insert head that takes up to 70 different profiles. It normally lists for over $200 and I got it for $70.

I haven't tried Griz or the other asian cutters but for the odd profile I will.

Also, I'm blown away by the router spindle in my machine. Mine has variable speed and the router spindle is rated for up to 19,000 rpm but can run as high as 22,000 but with shorter bearing life. Nothing like a 2000 lb router table with a slider on it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Mason View Post

So how did I, primarily a hand-tool user, end up with a 10 Hp Felder Shaper/Moulder? Well, I have intuitively know for the last year that a shaper would be a good fit for my stlye of woodworking--even though I had never used a shaper or powerfeeder. I really think I'll like this tool. So the bottom line is that I bought this shaper with the expectation that I'll find alot of uses for it; and this approach is no different than when I bought my tablesaw, lathe or bandsaw.
    This looks like a great machine. If you don't mind my asking, what sort of things do you have in mind to do with it? Moldings, doors? One thing I think is safe to say, you didn't skimp on this purchase.

I will be using it for the typical things; doors, windows, tenons, panels, as a router table and to create mouldings. I find the ability to grind my own knives will be invaluable. In the big picture this Felder is overkill for me--but the cost of buying used was not much more than buying new.

I first saw the shaper in use only recently--by a chairmaker--who used his shaper (he had a hugh 1,500 pound Polish shaper) extensively to make chairs. He used bored sawblades to cut tenons, he used it as a jointer to shape curved laminations, etc. He had alot of custom knives as well.

Doug, assuming that is your son in the second pic, the caption over his head reads, "I guess this means I'm not getting a bike for my birthday..."

VERY nice shaper. Wish I had funding and room for that.

Also, nice that it doesn't have paint splatter and rust all over it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Glad to see you got your shaper Doug. Looks like a beauty! You should be able to spin just about anything with 10HP and a slider. I like your phase convertor too! Enjoy that tool. I doubt that slider will go out of alignment unless you hit it hard with a fork lift. DAMHIK about that.

With that one you can get into some of the tenoning heads with coping disks to make exterior doors with integral tenons. With that one you can get into just about anything!

Let me just say:

YOU SUCK...HARD!

OK Doug, that's the YOU SUCK of the century post!

Very nice machine, you're going to enjoy owning a shaper, even more so for owning the Felder.

As you've already discovered with Felder, since they make all their own mechanicals, you can buy parts for older machines.

Regards, Rod.

2+ on the U suck. Very nice find!!!

Doug thats a really hard core shaper!! I'd love to have a shaper with a sliding table.