Thread: Planner question

Planner question

I'm wanting to buy a new 20" helical head planner. What planner would ya'll buy. A Grizzly 454, 1033x or a Powermatic 209hh. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Roth View Post
    I'm wanting to buy a new 20" helical head planner. What planner would ya'll buy. A Grizzly 454, 1033x or a Powermatic 209hh. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.
    Michael,
    I had bad luck with a powermatic 15 inch planer and even worse luck with Powermatic customer service. I have had great luck with the two Grizzly machines. I think with Powermatic you are paying for a name that was once good. The quality and fit and finish of the Grizzly tools I own put my Powermatic tools to shame.

Planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Planer.
    Whatever dude!

Blog Entries
    Hi Michael,

I have a Powermatic 15HH. I really like it. It's done well.

There seems to be several good choices out there.

I think Delta has a pretty good planer thats pretty sharply priced.

I don't own any Grizzly machinery and there isn't a Grizzly store near me that I know of so I've never used or really seen any Grizzly equipment up close so am unable to comment on them.

PHM

At one time most of the popular 15" planers (and I suspect their 20" variants) were made in the same factory in Taiwan. (Fine woodworking stated this in a test of planers). Similarly, I have an old Powermatic hollow chisel mortiser that looks almost like the General.

The first question to ask in comparing the planers is whether or not they are the same machine.

Also, there is no denying Grizzly customer service. It's great from what I hear and from my experience.