Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Briwax

Blog Entries

Help with Briwax

i bought a tub of briwax for my machines but when i popped the top it was not solid but liquidy. it had the look and consistency of apple sauce?

it was just a little warm out in the shop but not hot. i just figured it would be hard like a stick of cold butter?

is it a bad tub or is that the way it is??

Blog Entries
    I have a can of briwax in my shop. last time I used it the temp was in the mid 80's I believe. the only time it seemed to start to melt was if it was sitting in the sun.

It's supposed to hit 96 here tomorrow, I will have to pop it open and see what it looks like.

My best recomendation would be to let it sit in the house over night and see if it sets up, if not I would probably bring it back.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

FYI: Briwax contains toluene, not sure how that would effect cast iron but you may want to check.

Trace

Wax

I keep my junk wax, however I use regular high grade automotive wax. It would seem that the configuration of a wax for wood, would have a different chemical package. You might want to check before you apply anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    i bought a tub of briwax for my machines but when i popped the top it was not solid but liquidy. it had the look and consistency of apple sauce?

it was just a little warm out in the shop but not hot. i just figured it would be hard like a stick of cold butter?

is it a bad tub or is that the way it is??
    I use Crystal Paste Wax .... It's half the price, stays solid even in Oklahoma, and doesn't have unhelpful additives (that I know of).

My can is like that, I just stir it up a little and its fine. I use it on machines and projects all the time.

Blog Entries
    i read a bunch of articles where people use briwax for there machine tops, everyone likes it.

I use it on all of my machines,seems to stick around longer than some of the other waxes.
    YOURS TRULY,
    DARIN

Blog Entries
    i brought my can of wax in last night and put it in the fridge. i checked it today and it was
    firm but not hard like i have seen other waxes?

i wonder if i have a bad can?

i did just wax my tablesaw last weekend but i should try the briwax and see what its like?

anyone try this?

I just tried this for the first time...anyone else use it? Results? Looks good, but not a slippery as wax...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A Johnson View Post
    however I use regular high grade automotive wax. It would seem that the configuration of a wax for wood, would have a different chemical package. You might want to check before you apply anything.
    Careful.

Many (if not most) automotive waxes contain silicone. Silicone + wood = difficulty in getting finishes to take, properly.

If this doesn't apply to the wax YOU'RE using ... maybe it'll help somebody else

Blog Entries
    the first wax i got is Renaissance Wax and i really liked that and it acted like what i think wax should (car wax anyway) and it left a nice slick finish.

i used the briwax on my DP last night and it didnt seem to harden up after i applied it and i let it sit a long time but the 'haze' never appeared, i then rubbed it out and the table was a little slick but not as much as with the Renaissance wax.

i might just take the briwax back and keep getting the spendy stuff!

Blog Entries
    can anyone tell me if Briwax is supposed to glaze over after its applied?
    or does it just stay clear and then you rub it off?

Kevin, I have never used Briwax for machines, but Johnson's paste wax is probably the most mentioned wax for cast iron. It is silicone free, glazes over, and seems to do a great job. I have used it for a good while.

Cheap and readily available at the grocery store, Walmart, etc.

Blog Entries
    i will pick up a can next time im at walmart
    what section is it in? furniture cleaners and stuff? or ???

thanks