Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle Piece Vector & Black Marble Settings

Question Puzzle Piece Vector & Black Marble Settings

Two completely separate questions...

Does anyone have a pattern for puzzle pieces in vector format?

Generally, what settings do you use for photo engraving on black marble? I used 70% speed, 40% power on a 35 watt. Also, what DPI? I think I should have used about 200 to 300. I was questioning 400 and sure enough it came out with less detail prob because the dots didn't hold well on the marble.

How many pieces do you want the puzzle to be?
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Here is a puzzle you can play with
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."

Blog Entries
    A quality piece of marble is a fairly high-resolution substrate... I routinely run mine at 500-1000 dpi, depending upon what I'm engraving. The marble won't directly support such a high resolution as 1000 dpi, but it will tend to whiten the engraving more than if I ran it just at 500 dpi. I run it in 3D mode for shading and probably at twice the power density your pouring into yours...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There is a free jigsaw creator program that runs within Corel. It is limited to days or uses. If that does not work for you specify number of pieces you need for your jigsaw.

I have attached an image of a Kilkenny marble jigsaw piece. This piece is 20 mm thick.
    I typically run this marble at 60% on 60w at 200 dpi. Speed 45%. Optimum settings ( in terms of processing time and finish) can change slightly from batch to batch, it is best if you run a few test strips, however I keep the 200 dpi fixed.

Attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    A quality piece of marble is a fairly high-resolution substrate... I routinely run mine at 500-1000 dpi, depending upon what I'm engraving. The marble won't directly support such a high resolution as 1000 dpi, but it will tend to whiten the engraving more than if I ran it just at 500 dpi. I run it in 3D mode for shading and probably at twice the power density your pouring into yours...
    Doesn't that "blowout" the image? When I first tried engraving a photo on black marble @ a higher resolution (600 dpi) & high power, you couldn't even see the image, looked like a blob.

Also, I was thinking maybe 50 to 100 pieces for a puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kane View Post
    There is a free jigsaw creator program that runs within Corel. It is limited to days or uses. If that does not work for you specify number of pieces you need for your jigsaw.

I have attached an image of a Kilkenny marble jigsaw piece. This piece is 20 mm thick.
    I typically run this marble at 60% on 60w at 200 dpi. Speed 45%. Optimum settings ( in terms of processing time and finish) can change slightly from batch to batch, it is best if you run a few test strips, however I keep the 200 dpi fixed.
    Do you know the name of this plugin?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Doesn't that "blowout" the image? When I first tried engraving a photo on black marble @ a higher resolution (600 dpi) & high power, you couldn't even see the image, looked like a blob.
    Are you using a 1-bit image or 3D (i.e., multi-level)? If you're using a 1-bit image, then yes, a higher resolution can muddy the image, particularly if your power is too high.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Here's a 100 piece pattern.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Here's a 100 piece pattern.
    Thank you!

Name of program is jigsaw creator. Check out oberonplace.com

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Liesl; if it's blowing out, or etching real fuzzy, then what you are using is 'not' marble regardless of what they call it.. Put a bit of acid on the face of a scrap piece. My guess is it will have no effect which means it's granite that's being called marble (LaserSketch?) Real marble will foam up, and be damaged by acid, but it's practically goof proof when it comes to engraving it.. Engraving for real marble is slow, hot and high res..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Very interesting Bill, thanks for that info...I did buy the "marble" from LaserSketch. I would like to think it is what they claim but I guess I'll have to see for myself.