Thread: Oil Stone Quality question

Question Oil Stone Quality question

I recently ordered this 8X2X1 Arkansas Translucent stone from a reputable supplier and it was advertised as "1st grade". After thinking about the brownish streak running thru both sides of the stone, I question if they possibly sent me a "2nd". I would think after paying a premium price, the stone would be clear and free from any discolorization although I may be wrong.

I have emailed the supplier and await their reply, but in the mean time wanted to see what y'all think the definition of "1st grade" quality is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 06-05-2010 at 4:31 PM.

I'm not a stone expert but that looks like it's just cosmetic? Like there's a little iron in it or something- I'd just wait for their email

Blog Entries
    Please share their response with us.

My thought is one that does not have a streak in it may be a premium stone. Though not knowing much on this subject my opinion is just that.

Most of my translucent oil stones do have streaks of color in them. Only a few of the small slip stones do not.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bob, it is so difficult, especially these days, to get a perfectly clear natural stone. The Nortons seem to be as close to clear as I have seen and I'm not sure how they are able to do that. In reality, natural stones can and will have all kinds of different colors, and this is acceptable. Translucents can be anything from clear to gray, yellow, or even pink. My understanding is the difference between 1st and 2nd grade is not the color, but whether the stone has some slight damage to it.

Here's a link to Dan's Whetstones for more info.

http://www.danswhetstone.com/stone_grades_101.htm

I would try the stone out and see how it works. To be honest, it looks like a nice one, but the proof will be in the using.

Please keep us posted.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies. This stone is NOT a Norton, and I probably should have went that route to get a clear one. I will let you know what the retailer has to say as soon as I hear back from them which will probably be Monday. At this point the stone seems to work very well, it's just that I am not pleased with the discolorization, but that is probably just me being picky and if I am told this is normal by them, then I shall live with it in peace.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 06-05-2010 at 8:07 PM.

I always understood the grading to mean the uniformness of the particle size. Some stones aren't consistent, and a big particle will show as a scratch in your surface.
    Darnell

If it cuts well, but you feel cosmetically that it should be a second, then I would request the price difference from the seller.

I have a lot of natural stones, none are oilstones, though. I would say that only one of them is uniform, and the ones that aren't I like better. One of them is even noticeably different on one side of a fault line, and it's my favorite one.

I received a kind and speedy reply from the supplier and I am posting it here so it may help someone else at some point in time.

"Thank you for your inquiry. The stone is a natural product and our particular lead has color in it but this should not affect the sharpening. If you feel it does, we would be happy to refund your money. Let us know if it sharpens as you expected- it should. Thanks for the order."

With this reply and advice from many in the know, I have decided to keep this stone and look at the color as a positive attribute and be happy with it.

Thanks for all the input and help y'all.