Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Log Vase - Creation Process

Anxiously awaiting updates! Please tell us this is progressing nicely...
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Yeah, so I've been little lazy on the updates recently. I have been a little burned out.

Everything has gone ok, but the ride got very difficult in the last 10 inches. The piece has a bunch of knots at that point. So I had to hack my way through 4 long knots at 42" to 51" over the toolrest. NO FUN! But the walls are where I want them now, even though the inside surface isn't very smooth. I guess I will just have to sand the daylights out of it.

Photo 1.) Here's the beginning of the hollowing.

Photo 2.) I quickly ran into knots towards the rim. I had no idea they were there. Fun little surprises.....KNOT!

Photo 3.) Here's the boring bar I used to do the last 14" or so. It's 2.125" diameter x 10.5' long. At 130 lbs, it didn't get taken out of the rig much.

Photo 4.) And it's done-ish.

Photo 5.) Here's a better look down the center. At over four feet away, working the bottom proved challenging....just a bit.

At this point I am thicknessing the upper rim by hand using carving tools and a caliper. Also, I am cleaning up the inner surface manually using an IBEX curved sole plane, a micro plane, and a heavy round scraper (card scraper). My small amount of experience violin making is coming in really handy right now.

Thanks!

Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very impressive Matt! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Matt, I've been watching this project with no small level of interest. What a project. I'll bet that last ten inches was a bumpy ride! It's... well... bitchin! Can I say that here? I guess the mods will let me know! But one way or the other, I love those large pieces. My equipment is no where near heavy enough for a project like this and even though my determination (stubbornness) might be up to the task, I'm sure my skill level would be no wheres near sufficient. SS said "impressive". Actually he said "very impressive". Still an understatement.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 08-12-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: SP (thanx Andy Hoyt)
    David DeCristoforo

Actually, David. The word is spelled "bitchin"

And you're right, it is bitchin.
    Only the Blue Roads

"...The word is spelled "bitchin"..."

Oops. Sorry about that. Fixed. It's the only word I can use to describe this vase...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post

Photo 3.) Here's the boring bar I used to do the last 14" or so. It's 2.125" diameter x 10.5' long. At 130 lbs, it didn't get taken out of the rig much.
    The mother of all boring bars... what a tool!

Your the deep hollowing man, Matt.

Looking forward to see a photo of you standing next the finished piece.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

The dream becomes reality!

Hutch, When I delivered the steady and saw the log laying next to the lathe, I was not sure how it would all come out. But now I see your artistic mind and desire to fulfill the dream have won the battle so far! I have an Idea that may work to help you stablize the boring bar deeper so you can do some finer scraping cuts to smooth things out. I will sketch up a picture and send it to you.

Great job so far!

Keep plugging away and say hi to your lovely bride, I am sure she has felt a little neglected or jealous of the monster vase! My wife says that my lathes are my girlfriends and get more attention than she does!!

Take care,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very impressive indeed Hutch!

I must say, looking at the video of you hollowing down the top end, with that huge wing swinging around...made me dizzy just watching the video! My wife commented similarly.
    Looks great, you've done extremely well with that piece. Also can't wait to see done and you standing by it.

Something tells me...this isn't the last of big turnings from you now!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks all! I am very excited about how it's coming along.

Yeah, I figure now that I have this setup I will be trying a few larger projects at times. I don't imagine I will be doing a lot of HUGE stuff like this one, but who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and pick up a commission or something.

Hutch

I keep thinking this project is the woodturning equivalent of a marathon! You are to be commended for you efforts(or committed for relative insanity!)

Matt....I can't take it anymore....I need a fix...

Do you have any update for us??

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Matt....I can't take it anymore....I need a fix...

Do you have any update for us??
    I wonder if he got stuck inside of it....

Matt,

That is quite a project and it looks like you have things pretty well under control. After watching the video (without sound) and not keeping up with your previous postings, I would still offer two suggestions. 1. You should get a remote switch to use down at the extended tool bar location for safety purposes. 2. You might consider some guide or keeper bars on the tool rest to keep the bar in position and prevent it slipping off end of tool bar.

I have been taking a little break from the project, but I'm back at it now. I should have some new pics soonish. Right now I am continuing to refine the inside by hand, soon to move on to sanding. Also, I have had it off the lathe for the last couple weeks, and it only weighs about 15 pounds (if that). Fun times.....but the pressure is on with only 16 days until installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is quite a project and it looks like you have things pretty well under control. After watching the video (without sound) and not keeping up with your previous postings, I would still offer two suggestions. 1. You should get a remote switch to use down at the extended tool bar location for safety purposes. 2. You might consider some guide or keeper bars on the tool rest to keep the bar in position and prevent it slipping off end of tool bar.
    I actually thought about both of these issues. The safety switch I truly wish I had. It will definitely be in place before I attempt any other large scale work. As for the rest issue, the piece was so narrow on the inside that with the pivot in place (a piece of oak clamped to the rig) there was no way it could drop off the rest (in either direction). The only time this could have happened was when I was entering the work space or withdrawing the tool. Even then, the mass of the bar is so great that significant lateral force was the only way it would fall off. With the "lighter" duty bars it is of more concern, but they are still quite massive. That said, I do plan on having a few rests welded up which will have retaining features.

Hutch