Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It would be hard to have this much class..

It would be hard to have this much class..

Even as a die-hard, lifelong Tigers fan, I have to admire Joyce as well as Galarraga and Leyland for their attitudes in the aftermath:

Excerpted from The Detroit News:

Jim Joyce was like a person at fault in an accident scene, his emotional state chaotic and distraught. "I missed it, I missed it," Joyce barked, his voice at the extreme end of anguished. "I took a perfect game from that kid who pitched a perfect game. It was the biggest call of my career and I kicked the (stuff) out of it. I'm sorry. I had a great angle and I missed the call. At that time I thought he beat the ball. I asked the guy in the (video) room to cue up the play as soon as we got in here. And I missed it from here to that wall. I don't blame the Tigers for anything that was said after the game. If I had been Galarraga, I would have been the first one in my face, and he never said a word to me. This wasn't a call, this was a history call. And I kicked the (stuff) out of it."

Joyce later met with Galarraga, who said, "He feels really bad, probably worse than me. I give a lot of credit to that guy, to say he's sorry. I gave him a hug. His body English said more than the words. Nobody's perfect."

(Tiger's Manager Jim) Leyland heard about Joyce's psychological state in the Tigers clubhouse. "I gotta get over there," the Tigers manager said, heading for the doorway, and for the tunnel leading to the umpire's dressing room. Leyland returned 15 minutes later. "He's better now," the manager said, forgiving an umpire who could not forgive himself.

Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 06-03-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I bet Jim Joyce wishes baseball had instant replay for this call
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Even as a die-hard, lifelong Tigers fan, I have to admire Joyce as well as Galarraga and Leyland for their attitudes in the aftermath:
    Class acts. I liked Galarragas' smile after the call.
    Go Tigers.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Gotta agree! Both are class acts.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Admitting you are wrong when you know you are is a very hard thing to do, very admirable.

Unfortunetly, bad calls are a part of baseball, always have been, and always will be! Just sucks when bad calls sway a game, or take away milestones!

Joyce's blown call will hasten in the extended instant replay to MLB. It’s just a matter of time.
    A lot of class was shown by everyone and we definitely need more of that in sports, (and society in general) but that still won’t change a bad call.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Joyce is a class act for admitting he made a mistake!

The commish can and will overturn the call to give the kid his perfect game.

I was there and although it's a "bummer", life goes on, it's baseball. The missed call will make Galarraga even more well-known, in my opinion anyways. Tiger fans are decent and I don't believe will give him a hard time today when Joyce is behind home plate, as he's scheduled to do. One heck of an accomplishment no matter how you look at it. I feel bad for Joyce, that's a lot of pressure on one person to make the right call and it was nothing but a mistake, but........in that case instant replay would have solved everything.

David

p.s. My daughter is 10 and said afterwards, "I feel bad for that pitcher, but I fell "really" bad for umpire 'cause we all make mistakes Dad". Truer words could not have been spoken.
    Last edited by David Cramer; 06-03-2010 at 2:26 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post

I hope so........... it would be a pity not to.

Forgiveness Is The Key!

In this situation and in so many others in life! Those guys are all class acts for sure!

Sincerely,
    Phyllis

There is no Easter Bunny, Dick. Sorry.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I hope so.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I cant stand Bug Selig for various reasons. And as usual I think he showed his lack of vision for the game. He should have over ruled the call in this unique case. It didn't effect the end of the game. And for that matter it would have been the last call of its kind, if replay is implemented as it should be very soon.
    I have been told it is a little known fact that back in 1991 commisioner Fay Vincent and others on a committee overturned 50+ no hitters due to various reasons. So overturning this call would not have set a president. It is too bad, that kid deserves his name in the books for a real perfect game, not the imperfect perfect game.

But either way both parties are true class acts. To bad there arn't more Joyce officials in different sports like this guy. I feel terrible for him. But I respect that he did have the guts to call what he believed to be the right call at the time. Even if it did mean blowing a perfect game. Too many would have made a call dependent on the situation.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 06-03-2010 at 8:42 PM.

The man has integrity. To publicly admit your mistake, without condition or reservation, shows tremendous character.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

last night i became a diehard Armando Galarraga fan !!!!!!!!

an absolute class act

what we saw last night and then again today is what sport is supposed to be all about and unfortunately we see very little of it

want a great example of class and sportsmanship to show your kids?
    look no farther