Thread: Vacuum forming assistance & info !

Vacuum forming assistance & info !

Hi all,
    Have been commission to make an oval chest of drawer ( see Veneering_info.pdf).
    Wondering if any one of you guys have tackle similar projects (oval chest ) and would share his veneering approach.
    I need to veneer this in red alder and I’m thinking using a vacuum press bag system.

Any experience & suggestion would be much appreciated.
    Amicalement, Robert

Vacuum pressing systems has a great forum for stuff like this, they also sell really nice vacuum veneering setups, I would check them out.
    I've done elliptical cabinets before and they are interesting, fun and a royal pain all at the same time.
    First looking at your drawing you will probably need to make a pair of forms one for the drawer fronts and one to make the left and right side of the cabinet, you can do both on the same form because an ellipse is symmetrical. For the core I would use 2 layers of bending luan and skin them with bending poplar. I usually make them in two steps, create the core and then glue the veneer to the inside and outside of the piece.
    I used regular titebond for this but unibond will work also I had a couple of small bubbles on the inside but with titebond I was able to iron these out.
    My one question why red alder this is going to be fairly labor intensive and I would think you might want to use something a little showier.
    I've included a couple of pictures of some nightstands I did if that helps.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas, thanks for your reply & tips, part of what I’m hoping to find …..appreciate this !
    Why red alder !?!
    I’m commission, it’s the client request !!.... Nothing I can do about this

Anyone else could share there experiance with this type of making

Hard to imagine no one else can come to expose / explain his experience with oval, cylindrical pieces !?!

Well, my tansu veneering project was not curved but maybe it helps you a little bit?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Check out www.veneersupplies.com. Joe has a ton of info on bending in a vacuum. I'm working on a bent humidor cabinet myself right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 06-25-2010 at 8:26 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.