Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day-Lest we Forget

Memorial Day-Lest we Forget

I would like you all to have a safe and enjoyable Memorial day weekend but please do not forget its real purpose. It is our time to honor those Americans who served our country and made the supreme sacrifice. All too often we think of things in the abstract and these people we honor are without names or faces to us. Unfortunately this is not the case for me. The names listed below were all my friends and they paid the highest price possible. Most were under 21 and none were over 28. I will never forget them, for to do so is to dishonor their memory and sacrifice.

LCpl James Marshall Lexington, KY KIA August 10,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    LCpl Luis Cruz New York, NY KIA August 10,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    LCpl David Thomas Conneault,OH KIA August 10,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    Pvt Roberto Torres New York, NY KIA September 2,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    Pfc Donald Redmond Chicago, IL KIA September 10.1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    LCpl John Robinson Savannah, GA KIA September 10,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Silver Star
    Cpl Ronald Delverde So. Boston, MA KIA September 25,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    Pfc Ernest Perinotto Allentown, PA KIA November 17,1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Silver Star
    LCpl Fagatoele Lokeni Amer. Samoa KIA December 27,1969 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    Cpl David Graham Ventura, CA KIA February 8,1969 1st Combined Action Group
    Cpl Phillip Minton Clinton, TN KIA February 18,1969 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    LCpl Espirdion Perez Corpus Christi,TX KIA April 30,1969 B 1/7 1st MARDIV
    Cpl Peter Morka New York, NY KIA July 24, 1969 1st Combined Action Group
    Sgt Daniel Majors Memphis, TN KIA August 31,1969 1st Combined Action Group
    HM3 Gerald Keesling St. Peters, MO KIA November 22, 1969 1st Combined Action Group
    Pfc Wesley Sidener Burns, KS KIA November 22. 1969 1st Combined Action Group
    Pfc Peter Gruca Port Reading, NJ KIA November 22,1969 1st Combined Action Group

LCpl Miguel Keith Omaha, NE KIA May 5,1970 1st Combined Action Group MEDAL OF HONOR http://thewall-usa.com/mohrec.asp?recid=71&servid=27452

Photo: Sgt. Daniel William Majors USMC Commander Combined Action Platoon 1-1-6 Tam Ky District, Quang Nam Province My friend and mentor Rest in peace brother

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeteri
    Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 05-28-2011 at 4:42 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,

Thanks for putting a few names and with the photo a face to some of those who paid the ultimate price.

It is their selfless payment and the ultimate payment by the thousands of others that allows us to have the freedoms we take for granted so often.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-29-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dave - thanks for sharing and a big thanks to all who have served!

God bless them all!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Life has a flair that the protected can never know.

I would be proud to call any of them friend.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I heard yesterday Afghanastan casualties went over 1,000. Yes, I will continue to remember them.

Last night I was watching a recorded espisode of History Channel's "The Story of US". It was the WWII episode and it once again reminded me of the sacrifices made by an entire generation. Some parts of that show get overly melodramatic; "It would change the world forever" is said way too often. But I like how they tell individual stories among the history. I won't forget those people either.

Thanks for posting the list Dave. I plan to visit the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum on Memorial Day. I've added your list of fallen to those I will remember, and thank, when I go to the memorial garden.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

and thank you 2 Dave
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Dave,
    Thanks for posting the names of your fallen brothers. We all too often take for granted the sacrifices made for our country and our freedom. Thank you

Thank you, Dave.
    Remembering every one, every day.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Men of honor, and heros - every one.

God bless each of you.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Our family will not forget!

Thank you for this thread! Memorial Day is about all those who have served, fought for our freedoms, and of course those who have lost their lives! We thank you and will remember! We also thank the men and women currently serving today!

Sincerely,
    Phyllis

Thank You Dave

I came to the Creek to post a similar message today, but thank you for beating me to it. I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon reading names of classmates of mine who paid the ultimate sacrifice also. A friend gave me the following link to look up Vietnam vets who lost their lives. Hopefully, you may find it interesting, certainly sobering.

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm

I take my hat off to others of you who have served in the preservation of the liberties that we enjoy today. We should never take them for granted. Long may they last.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Thanks for the link Tom. I already knew about the site but it provides a good way for folks to find out who in their own home town gave all they had. You are right about it being sobering. In January 2009 when I was finally able to face going to the wall alone and at dawn I was emotionally overwhelmed and cried unashamedly.

One name I hadn't added above since he died before my tour began was a Marine from the town I grew up in and who I went to school with. We were Boy Scouts together and I found his name in the listings of the CAP Marine Association.

LCpl Dennis Hoppough Penfield, NY KIA July 16,1968 1st Combined Action Group

Another source of information is at http://www.thewall-usa.com
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 05-29-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add source
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

You're welcome Dave. I graduated from Texas A&M in 1964. Most of us took commissions upon graduation. This link enabled me to find out more about one of the classmates who didn't. Many of us thought that he was killed there as a civilian contractor, however, I was able to find that he was a 1st Lt., killed in a helicopter crash.
    I was blessed in that I served 4 years in the states.
    Thank you for serving.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Another Site

Another site which lists the Medal of Honor recipients and their citations:
    http://www.mishalov.com/Citations.html