Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photograv Dithers..then Epilog uses Standard in addition..wondering about effect ?

Question Photograv Dithers..then Epilog uses Standard in addition..wondering about effect ?

This may be a stupid question but I'll chance it.
    When raster engraving with the Epilog driver, the default is Standard Dithering. If one has used a program such as Photograv to dither a photo or other prior to printing, would the additional dithering applied by the Epilog driver have an adverse effect on the engraving? Just seems redundant to me. Does Photograv compensate for this?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Photograv's output is 1 bit - IE black. Will your driver dither black?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

When you use Photograv you have to enter you machine details, Maybe it has already been factored in, Epilog newsleter are now recommmending Photlaser Engraveplus but I have never had the oppotunity to try it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    When raster engraving with the Epilog driver, the default is Standard Dithering. If one has used a program such as Photograv to dither a photo or other prior to printing, would the additional dithering applied by the Epilog driver have an adverse effect on the engraving? Just seems redundant to me. Does Photograv compensate for this?
    Any extra dithering step after PG will effect the final image, though maybe not to a large enough degree to be noticeable. PG exports as a 1-bit dithered image already.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dont engrave PGRAV output as a photo. it has no greyscale.
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Dont engrave PGRAV output as a photo. it has no greyscale.
    I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying not to use any other dithering method in the driver other than standard? Their is not an option for No dithering, which seems to be in error. If it were an option, then one could use other methods and be assured that the output would not be affected.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    When you use Photograv you have to enter you machine details, Maybe it has already been factored in, Epilog newsleter are now recommmending Photlaser Engraveplus but I have never had the oppotunity to try it.
    I guess that's part of my question Frank, does Photograv compensate for that someway? Could this possibly be a reason for poor output from an Epilog using PG? (or at least a variable in some cases)
    I too saw the announcement about the Engraveplus, and watched the propaganda video. I have not seen what the cost of this program is as of yet, but based on the supposed wonderful results they achieved, you can bet it won't be cheap.

Photograv's output is 1 bit - IE black. Will your driver dither black?
    I have not a clue. I assume so.

Has anyone seen this new software from Epilog? Just received the info this morning. Looks very promising. No price listed.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/photo_laser_plus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Hazen View Post
    Has anyone seen this new software from Epilog? Just received the info this morning. Looks very promising. No price listed.
    It's a product of Cadlink, their product line is "Engrave Lab" and this photo product is listed at $495.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It's a product of Cadlink, their product line is "Engrave Lab" and this photo product is listed at $495.
    Choke!!!!!! Are you saying the new software is listed at $495. I looked on their website and saw the Photolaser Plus but didn't see a price. They sell through distributors too, so that may be where we have to find the real price.
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 05-29-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Tempting, but high priced... I don't want to be the guinea pig, but would love to know just how much you have to prepare the photo to make it work well. Seems like they used high quality pics, without the usual washouts or funny stuff we have to remove before they can be used. And I don't see a background removal feature, so that would still have to be done in PhotoShop/ CorelPaint anyway. I'd like someone to take a crappy pic and run it through... THAT would sell me if it worked!

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Well, obviously we have gotten off of the original topic. If anyone would like to respond to that it would be good. Maybe we can start another thread on the software. Thanks

A photo will have shades of grey , the driver would interpret this as black dots with spaces - IE it would use a dither pattern to space these black dots in a certain way.
    However Pgrav has already done this and is merely sending the black dots and spacings for engraving - your driver should see no shades of grey at all , merely solid black dots/areas and it would not need to dither at all. All you should do is engrave it as if it were a drawing that had black areas.

A photo will have shades of grey , the driver would interpret this as black dots with spaces - IE it would use a dither pattern to space these black dots in a certain way.
    However Pgrav has already done this and is merely sending the black dots and spacings for engraving - your driver should see no shades of grey at all , merely solid black dots/areas and it would not need to dither at all. All you should do is engrave it as if it were a drawing that had black areas.
    So, the bottom line is that the dither that Epilog calls Standard and is the default would have no adverse effect on a Photograv processed image?