Thread: Wooden fridge magnets

Wooden fridge magnets

I'd like to do some wooden fridge magnets and would like some advice/direction. Is there a laser able sheet magnet substrate? Would I then want to apply a veneer to this?

And then for finishing, I would probably want to stain and seal it before lasering right? I dont have much experience in wood yet and dont look fondly for working with stain and such. I wonder if someone has a premade product for this project? Magnet backed pre-finished wood veneer...

Perhaps the cheaper and/or easier route is to just use some stick on magnet strip on the finished item instead of covering the whole thing.
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

Yes I would use thin peel and stick magnets attached to the finished product. The magnet does not have to be as big as the finished product to hang on metal. The last magnet material I got was from Michaels and I was able to cut it with a standard shears.

GDG

James, be aware that some of that thin magnetic sheeting us pretty weak. It might hold itself onto a metal surface, but not much else.

I like superthin earth magnets, hot glued to the wood.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

LaserGifts.com has round wooden fridge magnets. Haven't tried them myself. Nice folks to deal with however.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I have made a lot of those, and since I make vehicle magnetic signs, I save the scraps. The material is easy to cut with scissors. A little of the flat double sided "banner tape" and they are ready to go.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

This is how I made some for our church. I cut holes in hardboard to fit round strong magnets that I got at Hobby Lobby. Then I applied peel and stick mahogany veneer to the hardboard and engraved the logo and information and cut through the veneer and hardboard. The magnet goes in the hole and is held in place by the veneer adhesive. We give these to new families who come to church.
    Fridge Magnets2.jpg
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo