Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools

I was browsing and saw HF was having a sale of several tools that I have been wanting. For example, they have a stand mounted 6" belt/9" disc sander for $189 and a 6" rabbeting jointer for $229.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They look well built. They look especially good for the price since I can use the 20% off coupons and bring the cost down even farther.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

What I have been told always, is that you get what you pay for, and that HF tools are never something you want to spend a decent amount of money on....

I bought a 4.5in Angle grinder and an wire brush for $15... it works well, appart from the grinder getting really hot, and the thing shaking like a beast... But, they offer no warranty on anything... appart from their wonderful return policy...

I would spend the time to get something more expensive, that will last you for years to come....

Try CL or EBAY....

I would strongly recommend you not by those tools unless you can inspect them up close in person and decide for yourself. Find the nearest HF store and have a look.

While there are a few HF tools which are decent and good values (I hear the dust collectors are pretty nice), by and large, most of their power tools fall into the junk category and end up being a waste of time and money.

FYI, one of my coworkers asked if I'd be interested in buying a large HF lathe he had sitting in his basement. He wanted only $100 for it. I asked the guys here on the turning forum and they said, "Run away!".

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    But, they offer no warranty on anything...
    Since when? They even have those extended warranties you pay extra for

I mean they dont have a warranty that you dont pay for...

Question Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    Try CL or EBAY....
    I'm probably going to feel stupid for asking this, but what is CL?

Stew Hagerty

Hi Stew, it's Craig's List, an online for sale site..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I was browsing and saw HF was having a sale of several tools that I have been wanting. For example, they have a stand mounted 6" belt/9" disc sander for $189 and a 6" rabbeting jointer for $229.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They look well built. They look especially good for the price since I can use the 20% off coupons and bring the cost down even farther.

I know people like to rip on Harbor Freight because they are cheaper. Yes, a lot of their stuff is junk. However, a lot of their stuff is also decent and quite usable for the amount of money you spend on it. If you have a local store you should go check out the equipment you are interested in. Their drill presses are nice. Their lathes are quite usable for what you pay. Its all built in Asia these days anyway....

Thanks

Eh, I don't feel quite so stupid as I thought I would. I've never used Craigs List before.

Stew Hagerty

I recently bought a HF 2hp DC. While researching it online I found through Google several lists of "Harbor Freight Gems" that listed tools/machinery that folks have found to be worthwhile purchases. They didn't imply that a piece of HF equipment was equivalent to a much more expensive mfr...but that some of their units are worthwhile for the occasional hobbyist on a budget. Several of the lists also include items from HF to avoid.

Local Store

There is a store here locally. I'm going to go in over the weekend and check them out in person. But I figured talking to someone that has had experience with them is better yet. That's why I thought I would ask in here for some opinions. I've used some of there things in the past, but never anything major like these items.

Stew Hagerty

Never Rules for HF purchases

1. Never buy anything that is not on sale.
    2. Never buy anything you haven't inspected up close.
    3. Never leave the store before making sure the model they wheel out is the same as the one you inspected.
    4. Never feel bad about taking back anything that is not up to snuff.

Thanks Britt

I checked out a couple of the Gems sites and they helped. Actually I found all of the items I am looking at on the lists. And surprisingly, they had all received favorable reviews. I'm anxious to get to the store and see them for myself.

At these prices, I can afford to equip my shop much better than I would otherwise be able to for some time. I figure I can upgrade in the future when I deem it time, from both a need and an economic standing. I hope they look as good as they sound.

Stew Hagerty

14. To add a rule... Never buy anything that your income or life depends on:

Dont buy elevators
    Carabinas
    climbing stakes
    Escalators
    Cars
    Children's Toys(most likely coated in lead paint)
    Dinner
    Or most other things like that....

Stew,

I followed the same path you are thinking back in the 90's. For those who remember WoodWorkers Warehouse, I had the HQ in the next town over and outfitted my shop. Harbor Freight has Central Machinery, WW Warehouse had Relient.

Think like you, I could get the house brand and setup my shop on a budget. I got the 6 inch jointer and 14 inch bandsaw. I still have both and have fixed up the jointer and will fix up the BS.

While the jointer was a pretty good value I had to order new set screws to replace the ones in the cutterhead since they stripped quickly when I had to replace the blades. The BS will need the bearings replaced and it probably has 20 hours on it total.

The moral of the story is that the tools are ok for time to time use, but for precision work I'd spend a bit more and buy higher quality tools that will last longer and perform better.

Save a bit more money and buy something better. Craftsman or Grizzly offer a better bang for your buck.