Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Tools

A friend has that sander and he likes it. Knowing what I know about him, I'd have to say it's a decent enough machine.
    Last edited by mark kosse; 05-27-2010 at 5:34 PM.

You can do better than the HF jointer. Used, they're worth $100, maybe.
    Get something better on CL.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

3. http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/sear...?query=jointer

Theres a few in your area... I would try a few of them, someone might still have it... there was a 4" for $75 and a Jet 6" for $350

Reminds me of a friend's comment after purchasing a HF drill, "Well, it worked once!" I still get a chuckle out of that one.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    I mean they dont have a warranty that you dont pay for...
    Although, they may indeed sell some items with no warranty most everything does indeed have a warranty that you don't pay EXTRA for, the argument can be made no company provides a warranty that you don't pay for.

6. You are right about that one Van.... no company ever gives you a free warranty....

By the way, look around and see if you have any recent Popular Science or Scientific American magazines, and maybe a few others. They have been including a 20% coupon off on anything, including sales items. Anything attractively priced is even better looking at 20% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Mah View Post
    By the way, look around and see if you have any recent Popular Science or Scientific American magazines, and maybe a few others. They have been including a 20% coupon off on anything, including sales items. Anything attractively priced is even better looking at 20% off.
    Floyd, here is a link to the coupon. I'm attaching another link that has several individual coupons.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...9&keycode=0000

By the way, I spoke with the manager at my local store and he said that the coupons are valid even for items that are on sale and, while you can only use one coupon per item, you can print multiple coupons and use one for each item you purchase as long as you ring-up each item separately.
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 05-28-2010 at 9:55 AM. Reason: Forgot to insert the links
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

You NEVER know what you are getting cheap. Years ago,some Chinese outfit was using USED ball bearings in their drill presses. Untold amounts of scams might be within your cheap item.

In a way,you can't really blame the Chinese. The basic problem is that Americans want stuff so dirt cheap that they have to work for next to nothing. They have to scrounge anything they can to make do.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Mah View Post
    Wood Magazine also has these coupons. I normally use them with purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    What I have been told always, is that you get what you pay for, and that HF tools are never something you want to spend a decent amount of money on....

I bought a 4.5in Angle grinder and an wire brush for $15... it works well, appart from the grinder getting really hot, and the thing shaking like a beast... But, they offer no warranty on anything... appart from their wonderful return policy...

I would spend the time to get something more expensive, that will last you for years to come....

Try CL or EBAY....
    I have their 4.5 inch angle grander. I probably ran it 5 hours continuous with no problems. I've cut rebar, angle iron and nails sticking out of wood. I would say that this was the best HF power tool I own.

I never tired a wire brush attachment. I didn't release that they sold one.

What do I need a warranty for? I had to chip away my old front step. BIG job to do by hand. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an air chisel. It was $10. It seems to be doing fine, but if it never worked again I got my money's worth. I'll toss it and buy another one if I ever need one again.

I wouldn't, however, buy ANYTHING from harbor freight that I expected to use on a daily basis. My experience with them is that they're great for that oddball tool that you're going to use a few times, but the quality of most of their stuff is SOOO poor that you'll rarely be happy in the long run. They do have some gems, though. Some of their higher end lathe/mills are actually pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    What do I need a warranty for? I had to chip away my old front step. BIG job to do by hand. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an air chisel. It was $10. It seems to be doing fine, but if it never worked again I got my money's worth. I'll toss it and buy another one if I ever need one again.

I wouldn't, however, buy ANYTHING from harbor freight that I expected to use on a daily basis. My experience with them is that they're great for that oddball tool that you're going to use a few times, but the quality of most of their stuff is SOOO poor that you'll rarely be happy in the long run. They do have some gems, though. Some of their higher end lathe/mills are actually pretty nice.
    Same with the Angle Grinder... its works extremely well for the price.... although, it gets very hot(I can feel it through a Police issue, kevlar palmed glove(search gloves.... made so syringes cannot stick ya.) But I can't argue.... I got the sucker for $10.... if it dies, and I need one... ill just get another.... I can go through ten of them before I have amounted to the cost of a DeWalt, and about ten of them/twenty of them(not sure the exact price) before I reach the cost of a Metabo......

But as I have said... other things like that, are junk... I saw a table saw while I was there... the thing had a table that looked to use a hard plastic.... I wonder what else uses plastic in it...*imagines*: the arbor, the trunions, even the blade*Imagines*

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You NEVER know what you are getting cheap. Years ago,some Chinese outfit was using USED ball bearings in their drill presses. Untold amounts of scams might be within your cheap item.

In a way,you can't really blame the Chinese. The basic problem is that Americans want stuff so dirt cheap that they have to work for next to nothing. They have to scrounge anything they can to make do.

Yes, I can blame the Chinese for producing sub-par products.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wachala Jr View Post
    Yes, I can blame the Chinese for producing sub-par products.
    As long as people buy those sub-par products someone will produce them.