Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granite engraving problems

Granite engraving problems

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am using a 40watt laser engraver and using photograv. Whenever I try to engrave granite no matter what speed settings i use or power setting the engraved image never comes out like the simulated one. there is always to much black. when i try and compensate then the white burns to deeply. Is there something obvious that I must be doing wrong

cheers

Try this , rather than let photograv invert the pic (PG will invert it if you laser on black granite) , Invert it in Corel or photoshop 1st and then run it in photograv using the cherry wood settings without using Pgrv to do the inversion.
    If this doesnt help , then try lightening the picture before doing the photograv processing , the lighter the picture - the more white you will have when its engraved (when doing granite or black stuff , white engraves and black doesnt)
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

thanks I will try it

many thanks for that. I will let you know how it works out

cheers

I have not tested this, so take it for what it's worth..Laserbits has developed a new granite parameter for Photograv 3.0. I downloaded it, but it can be downloaded free at
    http://www.laserbits.com/images/Lase...meters2010.pdf
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

thanks

thanks for the help. i tried the method of inverting in coreldraw. not really any better. Iam starting to think that maybe i have greater expectations as to the results that should be gained. is there a size of image that engraves better than others. eg 5 inchs, 10

regards

Colin:
    A little more info please. What is the original quality of the photos your trying to do? You need to start with something in the 200 to 300 dpi range. Photograv likes 300. Are you doing any work on the photo prior to submitting to Photograv? i.e. sharpening, changing contrast etc. I also convert mine to greyscale in Photoshop if their color, but that's a last step. Photograv will convert it if you forget though.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Size of the image should not matter; resolution may be an issue though. Maybe you should post the image if you feel comfortable. What settings are you using? Machine? A little more information would help to troubleshoot...

One thing: granite is extremely easy to over-power. Try a small test (at this point it sounds like you should have plenty of scrap material) using settings that are much lower power than 'standard'. By "much lower" I'm not talking 10%-20%: divide by two, and if that doesn't work, go down another factor of two. (The idea is to work your way up from not-enough rather than work down from too-much.)

I'd also suggest dialing in your settings using whatever halftone/grayscale options your machine's drivers provide before complicating things with PG.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

In reply

the resolution of the picture is 300, Iam quite good with photoshop and i have spent hours and hours editing. removing the background, altering the contrast, brightness, using the lasso tool to work on different areas of the picture.
    on the power settings i have started off real low power, so not to overburn. Iam not sure which picture to post as I now have tons all of the same image edited in different ways.
    Does anyone have a photo they have done, so i can see what kind of results can be achieved. I now have gone through 10 slabs of granite(black)

This is a really stupid question but I'll ask anyway: Are you focused to the material properly? And you are sure the laser is firing? Have to ask...sorry.

Here is a low res image of what we have done. These are 6x6 FYI.

If the image looks half decent and you are engraving a reverse image - try 100 speed and 33 speed should get you a good result.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    If the image looks half decent and you are engraving a reverse image - try 100 speed and 33 speed should get you a good result.
    Or is that 100 power and 33 power? Not too often we get to call Frank on something!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    Frank's suggestion should be (I believe) 100S/33P.

Do small 4x4 images on various spots of the tile... you'll go through a lot less tile that way until you get the settings correct (learned that one the first few days of the scrap pile getting higher and higher).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

hi again

Yes the laser is lined up properly and is the correct distance away from the work.
    i will be honest i have not tried it as slow as 100, the min i tried was 200, but i kept reading to try engraving faster.
    what scan gap are you using at 100 speed

regards

Blog Entries
    Ah, we have a disconnect here. Most of us own Epilogs, ULS, or Trotec machines, so when we say 100S, that means 100%... for Epilog/ULS machines, that's around 75ips, for some of the higher Trotecs that's as fast as 140ips. You'll need to convert these figures into something appropriate to your machine.

On granite, you should be engraving in the 150-300dpi range... anything higher and you could be blowing away your detail.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5