Thread: Triton TRA001 which Plate for table mount?

Triton TRA001 which Plate for table mount?

Ok I have researched this in the forum and others. With the recent addition of the above table crank on the 3 1/2 Tritons I am having difficulty finding a plate that is predrilled.

Any Triton owners can guide me to a good router plate or have a template?

It is in a benchdog cast iron table.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
    Ok I have researched this in the forum and others. With the recent addition of the above table crank on the 3 1/2 Tritons I am having difficulty finding a plate that is predrilled.

Any Triton owners can guide me to a good router plate or have a template?

It is in a benchdog cast iron table.
    No problem. The baseplate on the Triton is recessed for the crank. You simply use that as your template to get the center, and then drill to the proper size. If you have a tranfer punch, the job is trivial (find the right size punch to fit the recess, and tap). If not, you can do what I did: find the right size brad point bit and tap

If I remember correctly, the mounting pattern for the Triton is the same as the PC7518. I just used the Pinnacle plate and have been satisfied.

the router forum has the template

and it worked fine for me.

Mounted my Triton on a benchdog plate. Holes were aligned properly, but no hole for the crank. used the template found about half way down the page http://www.routerforums.com/table-mo...ter-plate.html

no special file format - adobe reader

Peter

Just a note of caution: if you print out the template from the link below, make sure that you TURN OFF ANY SCALING in your print setup. That being said, when I mounted my Triton to my Incra plate, I printed out the template with no scaling and it still was not accurate. Must be my printer. But check it against the router base plate before you use it.
    I found it just as easy to line up the plastic sub-base that came with the router and mark the winder hole and drill it out. I then used a small round file to chamfer the drilled hole, both top and bottom sides, to remove the burrs and make it easier to insert the winder handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hanson View Post
    and it worked fine for me.

Mounted my Triton on a benchdog plate. Holes were aligned properly, but no hole for the crank. used the template found about half way down the page http://www.routerforums.com/table-mo...ter-plate.html

no special file format - adobe reader

Peter

The template didnt line up for me either. Someone said the Incra had the hole predrilled but I cannot get a conformation. The local store didnt have the correct one.

Thnks for the reply's. I will flip it over and align it by site and make a template to make sure it is correct.

Just installed mine in the Incra Aluminum plate... Had to drill the 1/2 inch hole for the crank. You mark the plate where there is an inset in the router, where the hole is to be drilled making sure you have the router lined up correctly for access to the switch when the router is mounted under the table.

I drilled the hole slightly too close to where the router body was and had to run the drill bit through the hole and shave off just a bit of the router base. SIGH. But it works just fine now. Very, very happy with the router, the crank and the Incra plate... Love how the router will automatically lock when it's raised above the table for bit changing. The plate was a little cheaper than some of the other aluminum plates, thicker than some, a standard size and features the magnet insert plates... Incramental tools had them on sale a little bit ago...

Rich,
    The Incra plate doesn't come pre-drilled for the winder handle on the Triton. I confirmed this with Mark at Incra when I purchased my plate. Since the bolt pattern is exactly the same as the PC 7518 router, it is the same plate for either router. This is true for all other router plate manufacturers.
    You have to drill the hole. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
    The template didnt line up for me either. Someone said the Incra had the hole predrilled but I cannot get a conformation. The local store didnt have the correct one.

Thnks for the reply's. I will flip it over and align it by site and make a template to make sure it is correct.