Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Griz Gloat - 12" Jointer G0609X

That's got to be heart-stopping to see a huge CI jointer suspended by a nylon strap! Glad you lowered the jointer successfully down your stairwell and into your basement shop! Don't press your luck with a 16"! LOL Leave well enough alone! ENJOY!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    That's got to be heart-stopping to see a huge CI jointer suspended by a nylon strap! Glad you lowered the jointer successfully down your stairwell and into your basement shop! Don't press your luck with a 16"! LOL Leave well enough alone! ENJOY!
    Don't worry Chip, those nylon straps are strong. I've included a photo of a 70,000 pound power module being hoisted on 8 synthetic straps.

Regards, Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Braul View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to start shopping for a 16"
    Why only 16"? Go find a 36" porter!
    Last edited by Simon Dupay; 05-27-2010 at 2:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Don't worry Chip, those nylon straps are strong. I've included a photo of a 70,000 pound power module being hoisted on 8 synthetic straps.

Regards, Rod.
    Great pic Rod, the straps we were using were rated at 3600 lb, so I know there was plenty of margin. It's just a bit worrisome to actually see the load suspended 8' above the unforgiving concrete stairs!

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

When I priced lift straps online they were going to be expensive like 90 bucks a piece. A good friend told me to go to a truckstop and just get a ratchet strap. I went and got two for 14 bucks rated three times what I needed. Now when I moved from IL to PA the movers came to pack my shop. I wanted to see how they were going to move my jointer. It was amazing. there were 4 guys. One driver and 3 lift and tote. One of them was a college football lineman. Needless to say he was a beast. He walked over to the jointer and said this go? I said yep and did you bring a hoist. He said don't need one. He walked over squated and proceeded to lift one-end like it was a toy and his partner slide a dolly under it and he eased it down and they rolled it up the back on thos long aluminum walkways they put in the back of a big moving truck. Now keep in mind in IL it was almost flat. It arrives in PA and they need to take it down a 5 conctete step walk down to my basement through a sliding patio door at the bottom. The put that long aluminum gangplank down the steps and they rolled it on the flat dollie to the edge of the steps and he put on a harness and they walked that sucker down the ramp. To this day, i've never seen a hulk of a man like him. I dread the day I have to move that stuff out of the basement.